Neutron star: smoothest surface in the universe?

In summary: Records as the world's smoothest rotating objects, with an average deviation of 0.0003 radians per revolution."I considered the space between the particles at the surface (thousands of times smaller than at TPN conditions on Earth), the degeneracy pressure that makes such a surface possible and the fact that a body whose gravity at the surface makes for a relativistic escape speed wouldn't allow for much in the way of ruts.In summary, according to the author, the surface of a neutron star is the smoothest surface in the universe. The author also discusses the matter at the surface and the influences of the environment on the surface smoothness.
Catria
I wrote a paper in the physics department's student newspaper at my school, which described why, in my opinion, I considered a neutron star's surface as the smoothest surface in the universe, I considered the space between the particles at the surface (thousands of times smaller than at TPN conditions on Earth), the degeneracy pressure that makes such a surface possible and the fact that a body whose gravity at the surface makes for a relativistic escape speed wouldn't allow for much in the way of ruts. And I made an addendum pertaining to rotation, explaining that, with rotational factors added, it's actually the poles of a neutron star that are its smoothest points.

Of course I meant that as a joke but perhaps does it have some merit?

Perhaps am I completely off as I am no expert in condensed matter or astrophysics but what do you think?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Neutron stars can have mountains of the order of ~0.1mm (source) or maybe even ~1cm (article) with a width of maybe 100m-1km. Using the lower mountain height and the upper width, this corresponds to deviations of at least 10-7.
This is similar to the Si-28-balls produced at the PTB (Physikalisch-Technische Bundesanstalt in Germany): Deviations smaller than 30nm on a sphere with 10cm diameter (maximal relative deviation 3*10-7).

If you look at the atomic scale, things might be different. Is a perfect crystal lattice smooth?

Do neutron stars have perfect crystal lattices, especially when they are so close that the neutrons may as well be touching each other?

That was related to shapes on earth, but neutron stars have atoms there, too:
Wikipedia said:
On the basis of current models, the matter at the surface of a neutron star is composed of ordinary atomic nuclei crushed into a solid lattice with a sea of electrons flowing through the gaps between them.
from here, given source there: V. S. Beskin (1999). "Radiopulsars". УФН. T.169, №11, p.1173-1174

Catria said:
Do neutron stars have perfect crystal lattices, especially when they are so close that the neutrons may as well be touching each other?

Neutron star cores are a very hot superfluid, which I have no intuition about. It's exotic. I would say it has nothing in common with a crystal.

mfb said:
That was related to shapes on earth, but neutron stars have atoms there, too:

from here, given source there: V. S. Beskin (1999). "Radiopulsars". УФН. T.169, №11, p.1173-1174

The magnetic field is so strong that the nuclei polymerize. Wild!

Interesting topic and very informative site...thank you all.

Wouldn't trying to claim something is the "smoothest" in the universe be akin to the coastline paradox? It would depend upon the method and scale used?

ImaLooser said:
Neutron star cores are a very hot superfluid, which I have no intuition about. It's exotic. I would say it has nothing in common with a crystal.

I mentioned neutron star cores nowhere. However, not all neutron stars have solid surfaces, so the ones that can actually be given the "smooth" qualifier are the ones with solid surfaces (i.e. the colder ones) Do they have perfect crystal lattices if the atoms and other particles may as well be touching each other?

ImaLooser said:
The magnetic field is so strong that the nuclei polymerize. Wild!

And thus there are perhaps heavier atoms than hydrogen and helium in there...

So, what 'color' would the sun be were it not a seethingly hot ball of plasma? Disregarding the laws of physics is not an acceptable option.

Catria said:
I mentioned neutron star cores nowhere. However, not all neutron stars have solid surfaces, so the ones that can actually be given the "smooth" qualifier are the ones with solid surfaces (i.e. the colder ones) Do they have perfect crystal lattices if the atoms and other particles may as well be touching each other?

And thus there are perhaps heavier atoms than hydrogen and helium in there...

There is a thin (like a few centimeters) atmosphere of carbon and possibly liquid carbon on the surface. Then there are iron nuclei, and possibly heavier nuclei deeper down.
The nuclei are several billion times denser than anything on Earth.

Hydrogen may accumulate on the surface, but tends to undergo fusion explosions that cover the entire star.

mfb said:
Neutron stars can have mountains of the order of ~0.1mm (source) or maybe even ~1cm (article) with a width of maybe 100m-1km. Using the lower mountain height and the upper width, this corresponds to deviations of at least 10-7.
This is similar to the Si-28-balls produced at the PTB (Physikalisch-Technische Bundesanstalt in Germany): Deviations smaller than 30nm on a sphere with 10cm diameter (maximal relative deviation 3*10-7).

If you look at the atomic scale, things might be different. Is a perfect crystal lattice smooth?

Is there anything smoother on Earth?

The fuzed quartz gyroscopes they used in the gravity probe B experiment were pretty smooth. From http://einstein.stanford.edu/TECH/technology1.html: [Broken]
"... the GP-B gyro rotors are now listed in the Guinness Database of World Records as being the roundest objects ever manufactured, topped in sphericity only by neutron stars."

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm so tempted to say that a girl has smoother skin than a neutron star...

Chronos said:
The fuzed quartz gyroscopes they used in the gravity probe B experiment were pretty smooth. From http://einstein.stanford.edu/TECH/technology1.html: [Broken]
"... the GP-B gyro rotors are now listed in the Guinness Database of World Records as being the roundest objects ever manufactured, topped in sphericity only by neutron stars."

Not even a white dwarf? Like a neutron star, a white dwarf is very dense (much less so than a neutron star), prevented from collapsing with degeneracy pressure, small radius and a significant fraction of a solar mass contained within a ball Earth's size.

Last edited by a moderator:
The density difference between a white dwarf and neutron star is pretty significant. The typical white dwarf is about 1 solar mass and the size of earth. The typical neutron star is about 1.4 solar mass and the size of a city [~12km].

The Hubble Space Telescope mirror (2.4 m diameter) was polished to within 10 nm of perfection. I didn't do the math, but I would guess this is smoother than anything mentioned so far?

Catria said:
I'm so tempted to say that a girl has smoother skin than a neutron star...

Sure, go ahead and tell her. She might like it. Just don't say that she's sexier than a white dwarf. That wouldn't go over very often.

Lsos said:
The Hubble Space Telescope mirror (2.4 m diameter) was polished to within 10 nm of perfection. I didn't do the math, but I would guess this is smoother than anything mentioned so far?

Maximum deviation on surface of a millisecond pulsar is 1mm or so. (As I recall, I wouldn't swear to it.) The diameter is about 20km. 1mm/20km = 5* 10-8.

Hubble: 10-8/2.4 = 4*10-8. It's a tie (within significant figures)! Amazing.

Unfortunately, I read that
The surface of the Hubble telescope's primary mirror has a total variance of less than 0.04 microinches (10 angstroms)
That's 100nm, or 10-7. So Hubble has 4*(10-7) and neutron star wins, but it is close. But what do they mean by variance? Standard deviation? According to the New York Times the maximum error was 2.5 um, so neutron star wins hands down if that's right.

I also found that Perkin-Elmer, the makers of the mirror, knew it was flawed before it was launched. Scandal! They agreed to pay 25 million dollars for this to avoid a court case. Read all about it! http://people.tamu.edu/~v-buenger/658/Hubble.pdf

Last edited:
ImaLooser said:
The surface of the Hubble telescope's primary mirror has a total variance of less than 0.04 microinches (10 angstroms)
That's 100nm, or 10-7.
0.04 microinch are 1nm = 10 Å.
This would be extremely good for a mirror.

I saw 10nm as value for its surface. The total shape deviates from a paraboloid, but that does not change the smoothness of the surface.

mfb said:
0.04 microinch are 1nm = 10 Å.
This would be extremely good for a mirror.

I saw 10nm as value for its surface. The total shape deviates from a paraboloid, but that does not change the smoothness of the surface.

1nm = 10 Å is true. That would be ten atomic diameters, so I don't believe the mirror is that precisely ground.

0.04 microinches is quite close to 100nm.

With their having made such a gross error I don't trust that source. I'll go with the NY Times.

1 inch = 0.025m
0.04µinch = 40ninch = 40*0.025nm = 1nm

mfb said:
1 inch = 0.025m
0.04µinch = 40ninch = 40*0.025nm = 1nm

By golly you are right. I don't believe a mirror can be ground that accurately, though.

it is predictable that many would support the notion that neutron stars have the smoothest surfaces in the universe...and yet the OP, nor anyone else, has bothered to define the term "surface" within the context of this thread. i don't know whether or not solidity and/or the ability to support a mass is a prerequisite for you guys and gals, but if we go by the traditional simplistic definition of a surface as a simple 2-dimensional manifold/barrier, then i would venture so far as to say that the surfaces of black holes (event horizons) are smoother than the surfaces of neutron stars, despite them not being surfaces that can physically support a mass...

Lsos said:
No, a neutron star is within a millirmeter of being perfectly spherical. Factor that over 12-20 kilometers.

Chronos said:
No, a neutron star is within a millirmeter of being perfectly spherical. Factor that over 12-20 kilometers.

Isn't that what they did above? Turns out the Hubble IS slightly smoother, but within the same order of magnitude.

does anyone care to argue that event horizons are not the smoothest surfaces in the universe? after all, if a surface is simply a 2-dimensional manifold or boundary, then event horizons qualify as surfaces, even if their properties are vastly different from the material surfaces of objects such as a rocky planet, white dwarf, or neutron star...

Not all neutron stars are equally smooth. It depends on spin. Maximum spin is about 750 revolutions per second. In this case any "mountain" more than a millimeter high produces gravitational waves which dissipate a large amount of energy, so such a mountain is energetically unfavorable. For slowly rotating neutron stars the maximum mountain could be a few centimeters high.

94JZA80 said:
does anyone care to argue that event horizons are not the smoothest surfaces in the universe? after all, if a surface is simply a 2-dimensional manifold or boundary, then event horizons qualify as surfaces, even if their properties are vastly different from the material surfaces of objects such as a rocky planet, white dwarf, or neutron star...

can anyone refute this?

The surface of a sphere around an arbitrary point, with radius 1m, is perfectly smooth. Downside: It has no special physical meaning, as it is not made out of matter.
The event horizon has a physical meaning, but it is not an object, so it is somewhere in between the imaginary sphere and solid objects.

goldsax said:
can anyone refute this?

Sure, an idealized mathematical surface can be smoother than an actual physical object. To me that is not an interesting case.

A surface is a 2-dimensional manifold or boundary characterizing a material object for the purposes of this thread.

What is a neutron star?

A neutron star is a type of stellar remnant that is formed when a massive star undergoes a supernova explosion. It is incredibly dense, with a mass greater than that of our sun but compressed into a much smaller size, typically about 20 kilometers in diameter.

Why is the surface of a neutron star considered the smoothest in the universe?

The surface of a neutron star is considered the smoothest in the universe because it is incredibly dense and compact, with a surface gravity that is billions of times stronger than on Earth. This causes the surface to be incredibly flat and free of any mountains or other surface irregularities.

How do we know that the surface of a neutron star is smooth?

Scientists have studied the light emitted from neutron stars and have found that it is highly polarized, meaning that the light waves are all oriented in the same direction. This indicates that the surface of the neutron star is extremely smooth, as any surface irregularities would cause the light to scatter in different directions.

What would happen if an object were to land on the surface of a neutron star?

If an object were to land on the surface of a neutron star, it would be subjected to extreme gravitational forces and would be crushed under the immense weight. The intense gravity would also cause the object to heat up and emit X-rays and other forms of high-energy radiation.

Are there any other objects in the universe with surfaces as smooth as a neutron star?

No, neutron stars are currently believed to have the smoothest surfaces in the universe due to their extreme density and gravity. However, there may be other objects or phenomena in the universe that have similarly smooth surfaces, but we have yet to discover them.