Register to reply

What is the purpose of heterodyning in radio astronomy?!

Share this thread:
NGC
Nov21-12, 06:24 AM
P: 4
Hello all,

I'm aware that heterodyning is a radio signal processing technique as kindly explained by the Wiki article on the topic (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heterodyne).

However I don't understand how radio astronomers use this technique to aid their observations, what sort of analysis can they do with f1-f2 and/or f1+f2?

Thank you in advance,

Peter
Phys.Org News Partner Astronomy news on Phys.org
Transiting exoplanet with longest known year
Mysterious dance of dwarfs may force a cosmic rethink
Study shows oceans vital for possibility for alien life
Astrofan
Jan6-13, 07:39 PM
P: 21
Quote Quote by NGC View Post
Hello all,

I'm aware that heterodyning is a radio signal processing technique as kindly explained by the Wiki article on the topic (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heterodyne).

However I don't understand how radio astronomers use this technique to aid their observations, what sort of analysis can they do with f1-f2 and/or f1+f2?
For higher frequencies, it is not directly convertible to electronic (digital) signals, the heterodyne technique lowers the frequency by utilizing the method of mixing. As you can see, by mixing the signal with the local oscillator creates f1-f2 and f1+f2; the f1-f2 term is the one that is being used and the f1+f2 will cause noise so it is just filtered out.
NGC
Jan29-13, 02:59 AM
P: 4
Quote Quote by Astrofan View Post
For higher frequencies, it is not directly convertible to electronic (digital) signals, the heterodyne technique lowers the frequency by utilizing the method of mixing. As you can see, by mixing the signal with the local oscillator creates f1-f2 and f1+f2; the f1-f2 term is the one that is being used and the f1+f2 will cause noise so it is just filtered out.
Thank you!

Do you know whether heterodyning involve any advantages to processing the data since the technique lowers the frequency?

Peter

Register to reply