Multiplying a vector with Square Matrix vs. its transpose

In summary, the difference between A x B and A' x B depends on whether the matrix A is symmetric or not. If A is symmetric, there is no difference between the two calculations.
newphysist
Hi,

I am new to Math so I am trying to get some intuition.

Let's say I have a matrix A of n x n and a vector B of n x 1 what is the difference between A x B and A' x B?

Thanks

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I am not sure what you are looking for. I suggest you create some simple examples (n = 2 or 3) and see what you get.

newphysist said:
Hi,

I am new to Math so I am trying to get some intuition.

Let's say I have a matrix A of n x n and a vector B of n x 1 what is the difference between A x B and A' x B?
If the matrix A is symmetric, there's no difference between Ab and ATb.

Note that I changed your notation a bit. Capital letters are usually used to represent matrices, and lower case letters are usually used for vectors.

1. What is the difference between multiplying a vector with a square matrix and its transpose?

Multiplying a vector with a square matrix and its transpose involves different mathematical operations. When multiplying a vector with a square matrix, the vector is transformed into a new vector with different dimensions. On the other hand, when multiplying a vector with the transpose of a square matrix, the vector remains the same size but is transformed into a row or column vector depending on the orientation of the transpose.

2. How do the dimensions of the matrix and vector affect the result of the multiplication?

The dimensions of the matrix and vector determine whether the multiplication is possible. For example, when multiplying a 3x3 matrix with a 3x1 vector, the result will be a 3x1 vector. However, if the dimensions do not match, the multiplication cannot be performed.

3. What is the significance of multiplying a vector with a square matrix and its transpose in linear algebra?

In linear algebra, multiplying a vector with a square matrix and its transpose is used to transform a vector into a new vector with different dimensions. This operation is often used in applications such as data analysis, image processing, and machine learning.

4. How does the order of multiplication affect the result?

The order of multiplication does not affect the result when multiplying a vector with a square matrix and its transpose. This is because both operations result in the same transformation of the vector, regardless of the order in which they are performed.

5. Can the transpose of a square matrix be used instead of multiplying with the original matrix?

No, the transpose of a square matrix cannot be used instead of multiplying with the original matrix. The transpose operation results in a different transformation of the vector, and therefore cannot be used interchangeably with the original matrix.