Turn one vector into another vector

• B
  • Thread starter askmathquestions
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Vector
In summary: One approach would be to express the vectors in polar form:$$\vec v_1 = (x_1, x_2) = (r\cos \theta, r\sin \theta)$$$$\vec v_2 = (y_1, y_2) = (R\cos \phi, R\sin \phi)$$Then the rotation matrix for the angle ##\phi - \theta##, followed by the identity matrix multiplied by ##\frac R r## would do the trick.
askmathquestions
This might seem like a novice question, but let's suppose we have a vector ##x## and we want to turn it into vector ##y##. Well, what square matrix multiplied on ##x## accomplishes this?

As an example, let's work with a ##2 \times2## case:

##x = \begin{bmatrix} x_1 \\ x_2 \end{bmatrix}## and ##y = \begin{bmatrix} y_1 \\ y_2 \end{bmatrix}##, then what transform ##T = \begin{bmatrix} t_{1,1} & t_{1,2} \\ t_{2,1} & t_{2,2} \end{bmatrix}## makes the equation ##Tx = y## true?

Physics news on Phys.org
askmathquestions said:
This might seem like a novice question, but let's suppose we have a vector ##x## and we want to turn it into vector ##y##. Well, what square matrix multiplied on ##x## accomplishes this?

As an example, let's work with a ##2 \times2## case:

##x = \begin{bmatrix} x_1 \\ x_2 \end{bmatrix}## and ##y = \begin{bmatrix} y_1 \\ y_2 \end{bmatrix}##, then what transform ##T = \begin{bmatrix} t_{1,1} & t_{1,2} \\ t_{2,1} & t_{2,2} \end{bmatrix}## makes the equation ##Tx = y## true?
Well,
##\begin{bmatrix} y_1 \\ y_2 \end{bmatrix} = \begin{bmatrix} t_{11} & t_{12} \\ t_{21} & t_{22} \end{bmatrix} \begin{bmatrix} x_1 \\ x_2 \end{bmatrix}##

So
##y_1 = t_{11} x_1 + t_{12} x_2##

##y_2 = t_{21} x_2 + t_{22} x_2##

You have two equations in four unknowns so you can set some conditions on T if you like. But that's the proceedure.

-Dan

This is where I got stuck, because how do we solve for the ##t_{i,j}## components? Or, what conventional restrictions are there?

askmathquestions said:
This is where I got stuck, because how do we solve for the ##t_{i,j}## components? Or, what conventional restrictions are there?
You have two equations in four unknowns. So you can solve for two of the in terms of the remaining two unknowns. So you can set two more conditions.

There are a number of restrictions you can impose. You can set T to be unitary, det(T) = 1, Tr(T) = 0, you can make T symmetric or antisymmetric, skew-symmetric, etc. Or you could just simply say, "I want ##t_{11} = \pi## and ##t_{21} = 0##." As long as you don't run into a contradiction you can do just about anything you like. Of course you would want to tailor your conditions to whatever problem you are working with.

-Dan

Likes Hall and malawi_glenn
One approach would be to express the vectors in polar form:
$$\vec v_1 = (x_1, x_2) = (r\cos \theta, r\sin \theta)$$$$\vec v_2 = (y_1, y_2) = (R\cos \phi, R\sin \phi)$$Then the rotation matrix for the angle ##\phi - \theta##, followed by the identity matrix multiplied by ##\frac R r## would do the trick.

Likes topsquark

1. How can I turn one vector into another vector?

There are several ways to turn one vector into another vector. One method is to use a rotation matrix, which involves multiplying the original vector by a matrix that represents the desired rotation. Another method is to use a linear transformation, which involves multiplying the original vector by a matrix that represents the desired transformation.

2. What is a rotation matrix?

A rotation matrix is a square matrix that represents a rotation in a multi-dimensional space. It is used to rotate vectors in a specific direction and angle. The matrix is constructed using trigonometric functions and can be applied to any vector to produce a rotated vector.

3. How does a linear transformation turn one vector into another vector?

A linear transformation is a mathematical operation that maps one vector to another vector while preserving the vector's direction and magnitude. It is represented by a matrix, and the transformation is achieved by multiplying the original vector by the transformation matrix.

4. Can I turn a 2D vector into a 3D vector?

Yes, it is possible to turn a 2D vector into a 3D vector. This can be achieved by adding a third dimension to the original vector, either by adding a zero as a third component or by using a transformation matrix that maps the 2D vector to a 3D vector space.

5. Are there other methods besides rotation and linear transformation to turn one vector into another vector?

Yes, there are other methods to turn one vector into another vector, such as scaling, shearing, and reflection. These methods involve multiplying the original vector by a specific matrix that represents the desired transformation. Each method produces a different result and is used for different purposes in mathematics and computer graphics.