Register to reply

Momentum balance derivation in equations

by Fishinev
Tags: balance, fluids, head, mechanics, momentum
Share this thread:
Fishinev
Nov21-12, 04:16 PM
P: 2
I'm a little confused, in my fluid mechanics course we've covered many equations and they are all derived using an x-direction fluid flow. If I was to use these in a system in which fluid flowed in the y-direction would I have to re-derive them? Or would it be more of a case of using a horizontal system in a vertical direction?
Phys.Org News Partner Engineering news on Phys.org
A spray-on light show on four wheels: Darkside Scientific
Research project on accident-avoiding vehicle concluded
Smaller artificial magnetic conductors allow for more compact antenna hardware
tiny-tim
Nov21-12, 05:46 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
P: 26,148
Hi Fishinev! Welcome to PF!
Quote Quote by Fishinev View Post
I'm a little confused, in my fluid mechanics course we've covered many equations and they are all derived using an x-direction fluid flow.
Do you mean that the entire flow is horizontal, so that gravity doesn't have to be taken into account?

In that case, if you want to apply the equations to a vertical system, you'll need extra (ρgh) terms to deal with gravity.
Studiot
Nov21-12, 06:25 PM
P: 5,462
In that case, if you want to apply the equations to a vertical system, you'll need extra (ρgh) terms to deal with gravity.
If this is a gas dynamics question you can usually ignore body forces such as gravity at chemical engineering scales.

If this is a liquids questions then a body force such as gravity may well come into play.

Remember in chemical engineering other body forces are often also in play.

Register to reply