How does your Garden grow?

by Astronuc
Tags: evo, garden, gardening, grow
turbo
Nov10-12, 06:43 PM
PF Gold
P: 7,367
Still gardening here. Today, my wife and I planted 3 wide beds of garlic. 35' long each. We planted 2 beds of really fat German garlic and another of Russian garlic. These are hard-neck varieties and they keep really well. Tomorrow, Duke and I will trundle down there with oat-straw, so I can mulch those beds. This is Duke's ATV, and it has a nice cargo bed. When I cart the straw down to the garden, he will happily sit on "his" seat until I coax him to join me. He doesn't like getting off his buggy.

dlgoff
Nov12-12, 01:22 PM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 2,631
Quote Quote by turbo View Post
Still gardening here. ...
Same here; sort of. Here's my strawberry bed yesterday before the hard freeze last night.

I felt sorry for the little crowns.

So I clipped them off to save them.

Now what?
Evo
Nov12-12, 03:09 PM
Mentor
P: 25,927
Nice strawberry bed!!!

Here are hints for wintering over both ground and container strawberries.

http://strawberryplants.org/2011/11/...-strawberries/
turbo
Nov12-12, 04:01 PM
PF Gold
My neighbor had his daughter splitting garlic bulbs for planting, and she filled a 5 gallon pail with cloves. Unfortunately, she worked inside where it was warm, and when he wanted to plant the cloves today, almost all of them had sprouted. Not good.

I haven't mulched my garlic yet because I want to get some seriously cold weather to chill the soil. I'll mulch after a few ~20 deg nights. Snow might be even better. Garlic needs to be kept cold and dark to prevent sprouting. I'll have to check my stocks. I have more Russian red than I need, and that propagates very quickly, since each bulb can contain 8-10 cloves. In contrast, many of the German white bulbs only have 4 (or even 3) large cloves.

All that sprouting will set him back probably 2-3 years. I might be able to save a season for him with my spare Russian garlic.
dlgoff
Nov12-12, 07:48 PM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 2,631
Quote Quote by Evo View Post
Nice strawberry bed!!!

Here are hints for wintering over both ground and container strawberries.

http://strawberryplants.org/2011/11/...-strawberries/
Thanks for the link. That's exactly what I needed. In the first picture you can see I have straw waiting to overwinter the bed but I have never tried to keep potted crowns over the winter.
turbo
Nov12-12, 08:56 PM
PF Gold
Quote Quote by dlgoff View Post
but I have never tried to keep potted crowns over the winter.
Good luck with that, dlg. Some plants keep well if you have heat and light, though I have not had great luck with that. Our last house was dark and cold, and this one is no better.
trueo
Nov12-12, 09:53 PM
P: 18
Quote Quote by NeoDevin View Post
Pumpkin pie anyone?

How can that squash be too big ? Seems like the bigger the less tastier it becomes. In my area, the biggest one's diameter is only around 15-17cm, this is sort of long enough.
jim mcnamara
Nov12-12, 10:09 PM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 1,354
We froze - -7C last night. Al that is left is some sad thyme, droopy sage and ratty spearmint. They persist on into December usually.
NeoDevin
Nov19-12, 08:27 PM
P: 685
I've been way too busy over the past couple months, and haven't been taking very good care of my orchids. I've pretty much neglected them completely, until I looked at them today and saw how poorly they were doing. Any advice on how to save them? See the attached photo, from left to right they are:
Paph. St. Swithin
Some variety of Phal that I got in the discount bin at home depot
Cattleya Aurantiaca 'Orange'

Since the photo I've removed the dead leaves, and watered them (the plants, not the dead leaves). What else should I do?

Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0700.jpg  
Astronuc
Nov19-12, 09:37 PM
Admin
P: 21,628
I've been way too busy over the past couple months, and haven't been taking very good care of my orchids. I've pretty much neglected them completely, until I looked at them today and saw how poorly they were doing. Any advice on how to save them? See the attached photo, from left to right they are:
Paph. St. Swithin

Since the photo I've removed the dead leaves, and watered them (the plants, not the dead leaves). What else should I do?

Thanks.
May Zz have mercy on your soul.
phosgene
Nov20-12, 12:14 AM
P: 133
My gardening is limited to a small herb garden (baby spinach, coriander, parsley and I've just planted some basil) and whatever can withstand rock-hard soil and scorching-hot summers. At the moment, this just equals parsley and leafless rocket. I suppose it would be a better idea to plant stuff in pots so that I can move them into shade..
NeoDevin
Nov22-12, 11:05 AM
P: 685
Nobody has any advice? Where is Zz when you need him?
Andre
Nov22-12, 12:57 PM
PF Gold
P: 5,450

Thanks.
Those don't look really bad. There is hope.

Make sure that there is not too much water, they hate wet feet especially in the resting period as they are in now. Let them drain a bit upsite down. And water only when totally dry.

Don't expect much flowering aspirations right now (if in the northern hemisphere). They know that the days are short and it's not a good time.

The plants will be forever grateful, if you replace the pots with transparant glass ones, as the green roots also love to do some photosynthesis. Moreover you can monitor the water balance that way. A little condense is all what you want to see.

Best substrate is tree bark chips and sphagnum combined.

My experience is that an easterly window works well, a little early sun is fine. Definitely not on the south.

Start with a little bit of fertilization after doomsday (21 Dec 2012) and the years thereafter of course.

Does that help?
Astronuc
Nov22-12, 01:30 PM
Admin
P: 21,628
Paph. St. Swithin

Thanks.
ORCHID FOOD
In their native habitat, orchids scavenge nutrients from whatever happens to be nearby: decomposing leaves, bird or animal droppings, or minerals borne in rainwater. You can help your orchid to grow faster and bloom sooner by feeding it the right fertilizers. Look for products that contain nitrogen (N), phosphorus (P), and potassium (K), along with trace elements such as iron.

Potassium (K) is mainly responsible for the control of flower, and fruit development. Phosphorous (P) for flower production, and Nitrogen (N) for healthy vegetative growth. The amount of feeding depends on the plant concerned, the time of year and general health of the plant. Investigations have shown that feeding should begin with more Nitrogen just when the new shoots are showing, more Phosphorous and Potassium being necessary towards the end of the season.

. . .
http://www.beautifulorchids.com/orch...g/feeding.html

WATERING YOUR ORCHID
Always water early in the day so that your orchids dry out by nighttime. The proper frequency of watering will depend on the climatic conditions where you live. In general, water once a week during the winter and twice a week when the weather turns warm and dry. The size of your orchid container also helps determine how often you need to water, regardless of climate conditions. Typically, a 6-inch pot needs water every 7 days and a 4-inch pot needs water every 5 to 6 days.

The type of potting medium being used can also affect your plant's water requirements. Bark has a tendency to dry out more rapidly than sphagnum moss, for instance. It is important to remember, however, that even when the surface of your pot is dry, the root area may remain moist. Poke your finger or a regular wooden pencil an inch into the pot; if it feels moist to the touch or if the pencil looks moist, do not add additional water. The potting medium should always be damp, but not soggy—neither should it be allowed to get extremely dry.

. . .
http://www.beautifulorchids.com/orch.../watering.html

http://www.beautifulorchids.com/orch...questions.html

http://justaddiceorchids.com/watering

http://myorchidcare.com/

Also see the American Orchid Society: http://aos.org/

All About Orchids = http://aos.org/Default.aspx?id=59
Evo
Nov23-12, 02:14 AM
Mentor
P: 25,927
I am about to pick a dozen ripe tomatoes. Unfortunately there are still over 30 green tomatoes of varying sizes that will be lost

I had dozens of bell peppers that stunted after the weather got cold. Who wants a peanut sized bell pepper, I have dozens of them!

If the weather had cooled a month earlier, I could have had an awesome harvest, but the summer was just too hot at that critical time. Nothing would set until the weather cooled, then it was too late.

Eggplants never made it, a complete loss.
turbo
Dec4-12, 10:35 AM
PF Gold
Gardening is over for the year. This morning, I took the tiller attachment off the tractor and parked the tractor in the garage. Sad times.
lisab
Dec25-12, 06:32 PM
Mentor
P: 2,914
Perusing a seed catalog . True, winter has barely even started, but it's also true that the days are getting longer now!
turbo
Dec25-12, 06:38 PM
PF Gold
My wife promised our little niece a spot of her own in next summer's garden, and when she has to babysit her next, she will take over a catalog from Johnny's so they can pick out seeds.

Register to reply