Differential and square of differential

by rsaad
Tags: differential, square
Share this thread:
rsaad
Nov22-12, 08:54 AM
P: 77
Hi
I often see the following in books but I do not understand how they are equal. So can someone please tell me for what conditions does the following equality hold?
([itex]\frac{dy}{dx}[/itex]) 2 = (d2 y)/(dx2)
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Fungus deadly to AIDS patients found to grow on trees
Canola genome sequence reveals evolutionary 'love triangle'
Scientists uncover clues to role of magnetism in iron-based superconductors
JJacquelin
Nov22-12, 09:11 AM
P: 759
No, generaly this equality doesn't hold.
For example :
y=x
dy/dx = 2x
dy/dx = 2
(dy/dx) = (2x) = 4x
2 is not equal to 4x

The equality (dy/dx) = dy/dx holds only for one family of functions : y = - ln(ax+b).
It doesn't hold for any other function.
Millennial
Nov22-12, 09:28 AM
P: 295
The equality that does hold is [itex]\displaystyle \left( \frac{d}{dx} \right)^2y = \frac{d^2y}{(dx)^2}[/itex], which is usually abbreviated (somewhat abuse of notation) as [itex]\displaystyle \frac{d^2y}{dx^2}[/itex].

HallsofIvy
Nov22-12, 11:20 AM
Math
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
Thanks
PF Gold
P: 39,502
Differential and square of differential

Quote Quote by rsaad View Post
Hi
I often see the following in books but I do not understand how they are equal. So can someone please tell me for what conditions does the following equality hold?
([itex]\frac{dy}{dx}[/itex]) 2 = (d2 y)/(dx2)
I can't help but wonder where you "often see" that? As others said, it is certainly NOT "generally" true. [itex]d^2y/dx^2= (dy/dx)^2[/itex] is a "differential equation". If we let u= dy/dx, we have the "first order differential equation" [itex]du/dx= u^2[/itex] which can be written as [itex]u^{-2}du= dx[/itex] and, integrating, [itex]-u^{-1}= x+ C[/itex] so that [itex]u= dy/dx= -\frac{1}{x+ C}[/itex]. Integrating that, [itex]y(x)= \frac{1}{(x+ C)^2}+ C_1[/itex]. Only such functions satisfy your equation.
JJacquelin
Nov22-12, 12:42 PM
P: 759
Quote Quote by HallsofIvy View Post
[itex]u= dy/dx= -\frac{1}{x+ C}[/itex]. Integrating that, [itex]y(x)= \frac{1}{(x+ C)^2}+ C_1[/itex]. Only such functions satisfy your equation.
Integrating -1/(x+C) leads to -ln(x+C)+c = -ln(ax+b)
Millennial
Nov22-12, 03:07 PM
P: 295
Quote Quote by JJacquelin View Post
Integrating -1/(x+C) leads to -ln(x+C)+c = -ln(ax+b)
He probably got confused and differentiated instead. Anyways, the identity given in the OP is not generally true, actually, it is almost surely false, given the family of functions that can be defined on R2.
HallsofIvy
Nov23-12, 08:13 AM
Math
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
Thanks
PF Gold
P: 39,502
Yeah, I confuse very easily! Thanks.
skiller
Nov23-12, 01:00 PM
P: 234
Quote Quote by HallsofIvy View Post
Yeah, I confuse very easily! Thanks.
You do get sloppy very often, Halls. Shape up!

Register to reply