Question about Constrained Differentials

In summary, the author is confused about what z is and why it was set to zero in the equation for dy. They say that the error comes from the constraint, but they don't clarify what they mean. They also state that the given solution is incorrect.
cwill53
https://ocw.mit.edu/courses/mathematics/18-02sc-multivariable-calculus-fall-2010/2.-partial-derivatives/part-c-lagrange-multipliers-and-constrained-differentials/session-42-constrained-differentials/MIT18_02SC_pb_42_comb.pdf

In part 3 of this example, after dy was expressed in terms of dx, can someone explain to me why z in the total differential equation dw was set to zero? It doesn't make sense to me at the moment.

Likes BvU
Physics news on Phys.org
@BvU Did they make a mistake here?

Also, shouldn’t dy be negative?
3CF209D6-B746-4B21-B3BD-F26FD849FC19.png

Last edited:
cwill53 said:
https://ocw.mit.edu/courses/mathematics/18-02sc-multivariable-calculus-fall-2010/2.-partial-derivatives/part-c-lagrange-multipliers-and-constrained-differentials/session-42-constrained-differentials/MIT18_02SC_pb_42_comb.pdf

In part 3 of this example, after dy was expressed in terms of dx, can someone explain to me why z in the total differential equation dw was set to zero? It doesn't make sense to me at the moment.
I don't see anything set to zero. I see ##ze^y\,dx = c\,dx = 0##. ##ze^y## is a constant ##c## from the point of view of the differential operator ##dx## since it does not depend on ##x##.

Likes cwill53
cwill53 said:

I can't make much sense of that either. Perhaps they forgot to say that they wanted ##\frac{\partial w}{\partial x} \big{|}_{z = 0}##. That's what they seem to have calculated anyway.

Likes cwill53
fresh_42 said:
I don't see anything set to zero. I see ##ze^y\,dx = c\,dx = 0##. ##ze^y## is a constant ##c## from the point of view of the differential operator ##dx## since it does not depend on ##x##.
195A1A6A-1790-4FE8-9B0D-7D101A2B3757.jpeg

The way z is set to zero here doesn’t make sense to me. Also the fact that dy isn’t negative.

cwill53 said:
Also the fact that dy isn’t negative.

That looks plain wrong.

Likes cwill53
PeroK said:
I can't make much sense of that either. Perhaps they forgot to say that they wanted ∂w∂x|z=0. That's what they seem to have calculated anyway.
Why would they even want that though lol? Is it true that if I didn’t set ##\frac{\partial w}{\partial x}## and ##\frac{\partial w}{\partial y}##equal to zero, that I would get the correct answer? I also don't even see the point in this as

$$dw=\frac{\partial w}{\partial x}dx+\frac{\partial w}{\partial y}dy+\frac{\partial w}{\partial z}dz$$

##\frac{\partial w}{\partial x}## is already a term here.

cwill53 said:
View attachment 268306
The way z is set to zero here doesn’t make sense to me. Also the fact that dy isn’t negative.
Didn't see that one. Yes, t´his looks wrong as written. I agree with @PeroK that it probably should have been ##\left. \dfrac{d}{dx}\right|_{z=0}## instead.

Likes cwill53
fresh_42 said:
Didn't see that one. Yes, t´his looks wrong as written. I agree with @PeroK that it probably should have been ##\left. \dfrac{d}{dx}\right|_{z=0}## instead.
I’m still a bit confused by that. Why would they need to do this at all?

cwill53 said:
I’m still a bit confused by that. Why would they need to do this at all?
How is ##z## defined in (1)? It is not defined in (3), and in (2) not independent. So what is it?
And I have trouble to read these tiny formulas. Type it out please.

fresh_42 said:
How is ##z## defined in (1)? It is not defined in (3), and in (2) not independent. So what is it?
And I have trouble to read these tiny formulas. Type it out please.
So, (1) says

1. Find the total differential for ##w=zxe^{y}+xe^{z}+ye^{z}##.
$$dw=(ze^{y} + e^{z})dx + (zxe^{y} + e^{z})dy + (xe^{y} + xe^{z} + ye^{z})dz$$

(2) asks us to write dw in terms of dt. That part is unrelated to the confusion.

3. Now suppose ##w## is as above and ##x^{2}y+y^{2}x=1.## Assuming x is the independent variable, find ##\frac{\partial w}{\partial x}##.

They proceed to say the following (after mistakenly writing ##
dy=\frac{2xy+y^{2}}{x^{2}+2xy}dx## instead of ##dy=-\frac{2xy+y^{2}}{x^{2}+2xy}dx##):
45F89915-7973-419A-9F70-6568FF52F215.jpeg

@fresh_42 They end up arriving at

$$\frac{\partial w}{\partial x}=\frac{x^{2}+4xy+y^{2}}{x^{2}+2xy}$$

I think the given solution is incorrect. Nowhere is given that ##z=0##.

Likes cwill53
cwill53 said:
What I wrote is all the problem says, z is not specifically defined to be anything.
I would make the assumption that that page is unreliable. It specifically sets ##z = 0## that is clear.

Likes cwill53
cwill53 said:
@fresh_42 They end up arriving at

$$\frac{\partial w}{\partial x}=\frac{x^{2}+4xy+y^{2}}{x^{2}+2xy}$$
I have had another look on the original pdf, and meanwhile I think that the error comes in with the constraint. Maybe they implicitly meant by ##x^2y+y^2x=1## that ##z=0##. That's the only way this all makes sense to me.

Likes cwill53
fresh_42 said:
I have had another look on the original pdf, and meanwhile I think that the error comes in with the constraint. Maybe they implicitly meant by ##x^2y+y^2x=1## that ##z=0##. That's the only way this all makes sense to me.
I suspect whoever wrote that page confused ##dz = 0## to get the partial derivative wrt ##x## and ##z = 0##. In any case, I can't see much value in trying to make sense of poor material.

Likes jim mcnamara, cwill53 and fresh_42

1. What is a constrained differential?

A constrained differential is a mathematical concept used in the field of optimization. It refers to the change in a variable subject to constraints, which are conditions that must be satisfied in order for the variable to be considered a valid solution.

2. How is a constrained differential different from an unconstrained differential?

An unconstrained differential does not have any restrictions or limitations on the variable, while a constrained differential must adhere to certain constraints. This makes finding the optimal solution more challenging for constrained differentials.

3. What are some common constraints used in constrained differentials?

Some common constraints used in constrained differentials include linear and nonlinear inequalities, equality constraints, and boundary conditions. These constraints help to define the feasible region, or the set of all possible solutions.

4. How are constrained differentials used in real-world applications?

Constrained differentials are used in a variety of real-world applications, such as in engineering, economics, and physics. They are particularly useful in optimization problems, where finding the best solution within a set of constraints is essential.

5. Are there any limitations to using constrained differentials?

One limitation of using constrained differentials is that they can be computationally intensive and may require advanced mathematical techniques to solve. Additionally, the constraints used must accurately represent the problem at hand, or the resulting solution may not be optimal.