FEA - Static Condensation Example?

In summary, the conversation discusses the difference between static condensation and substructuring in finite element analysis. The participants also mention potential sources for information on static condensation, including the Schaum's outline and a paper by Angel Martinez Aja.
bugatti79
Folks,

Can anyone point me to an online source detailing an example of the static condensation process in finite elements. I believe sub structuring is another term used to describe the same process.

Regards
Bugatti

Engineering news on Phys.org
I don't know of a source for describing static condensation but it is not the same as substructuring. Substructuring is when a small model section is removed from the large model. Static condensation is a mathematical problem with certain element types.

Thanks
Matt

Static condensation is just a matrix manipulation to eliminate part of your system that contain known variables, like imposed forces. I think it's also in Schaum's outline FEA, but there is an online paper called 'sub-modeling techniques for static analysis' by Angel Martinez Aja that explains it in detail.

Thanks folks for that.

What is FEA?

FEA stands for Finite Element Analysis. It is a numerical method used to solve engineering problems by dividing a complex structure into smaller, simpler parts called finite elements. These elements are then analyzed to predict the behavior of the entire structure.

What is Static Condensation?

Static condensation is a technique used in FEA to reduce the number of degrees of freedom in a model. It involves removing internal nodes that are not connected to the external boundary, thus simplifying the analysis without compromising accuracy.

Why is Static Condensation used in FEA?

Static condensation is used in FEA to reduce the computational cost of the analysis. By removing unnecessary internal nodes, the number of equations to be solved is reduced, resulting in faster and more efficient analysis.

What are the advantages of using Static Condensation in FEA?

Some of the advantages of using Static Condensation in FEA include faster computation time, reduced memory requirements, and improved accuracy. It also allows for the analysis of larger and more complex models that would otherwise be computationally infeasible.

What are the limitations of Static Condensation in FEA?

Static Condensation may not be suitable for all types of problems. It is most effective for linear problems with a relatively small number of degrees of freedom. Additionally, it may introduce some errors in the solution, particularly for highly nonlinear problems.