by Ivan Seeking
Tags: earth
Ivan Seeking
Nov22-12, 02:27 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 12,493
We were joking about the 2012 end of the world stuff and rootx suggested a thread asking what people are going to do with their last month. So, for the fun of it, what if we really did only have one month until some kind of unavoidable extinction level event wipes out life on the planet? What would you do between now and December 21st?

There is a wonderful movie that deals with the idea of the last night on earth, called Last Night [1998], strangely enough. It was available for streaming at Netflix but is offline at the moment.

What do you do when you have six hours to live? Last Night chronicles a small group of people whose lives intersect as a nameless apocalypse descends on them, which director Don McKellar handles with grace and solemn dignity. A woman (Sandra Oh) tries to locate her husband to fulfill a suicide pact, while a young man (Callum Keith Rennie) has a rendezvous with a former high school teacher.
Netflix
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Better thermal-imaging lens from waste sulfur
Hackathon team's GoogolPlex gives Siri extra powers
Bright points in Sun's atmosphere mark patterns deep in its interior
Andre
Nov22-12, 03:16 PM
PF Gold
P: 5,450
Just read On the beach. People would paint the fence and plant new crops for next year. Life goes on. Anyway I got no time to think about it. I have to hurry to be at Bugarach in time.
xxChrisxx
Nov22-12, 03:18 PM
P: 2,032
Quote Quote by Ivan Seeking View Post
So, for the fun of it, what if we really did only have one month until some kind of unavoidable extinction level event wipes out life on the planet? What would you do between now and December 21st?
I'd get my Christmas shopping done.

drizzle
Nov22-12, 03:29 PM
PF Gold
P: 521

Your last month on earth

I'd be studying for my coming exam.
Ibix
Nov22-12, 03:44 PM
P: 372
A guy on another forum I frequent has a countdown in his sig - X days, X hours, X minutes...until everybody suddenly stops talking about the Maya.

What would I do if I knew the apocalypse was coming? I've no particular ambitions achievable in this timescale. I would try to be the best man, husband and father I can. Die with my boots on, civilian style, basically. And keep on teaching my son to read - you never know.
czelaya
Nov22-12, 03:45 PM
P: 66
Make things right as much as possible:

I'd apologize to everyone for every stupid action, lie, dishonest act, and wrongful thing I've ever done. I would also thank the people in my life who don't realize how much they have effected me in life.

Spend as much time with my daughter and tell my current girlfriend of 3 years that I'm ultimately grateful for her love towards me-an undeserving fool.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone.
Evo
Nov22-12, 05:57 PM
Mentor
P: 25,926
I'd spend all of my money buying all of the best foods I've never allowed myself to splurge on, and share with friends and family, one HUGE BINGE. Unfortunately, one month wouldn't be long enough to travel to all of the places I have yet to visit. Besides, who's going to be working?
rootX
Nov22-12, 06:55 PM
P: 1,295
Quote Quote by czelaya View Post
I'd apologize to everyone for every stupid action, lie, dishonest act, and wrongful thing I've ever done. I would also thank the people in my life who don't realize how much they have effected me in life.
That's also on my to-do list
Evo
Nov22-12, 08:46 PM
Mentor
Quote Quote by rootX View Post
That's also on my to-do list
They're all going to die and won't remember, go out and have fun instead!
fluidistic
Nov22-12, 08:49 PM
PF Gold
P: 3,173
I don't know what I'd do. Maybe buy a ticket for Mars or the Moon since the Earth would be toasted.
Quote Quote by Evo View Post
I'd spend all of my money buying all of the best foods I've never allowed myself to splurge on, and share with friends and family, one HUGE BINGE.
Excuse me for my curiosity but I'd love to hear about some of these "foods".
Foods I've never tried but would like to try is ocsypek (borek knows this), a truffle (ok this one is so expensive! I think it's over 1000 dollars for 1 kilogram). And maybe the fugu fish just for fun.
rootX
Nov22-12, 09:09 PM
They're all going to die and won't remember, go out and have fun instead!
That's true. Maybe, I should borrow some money from them, buy some expensive food too and elope with all the food to Bora Bora
Evo
Nov22-12, 09:34 PM
Mentor
Quote Quote by rootX View Post
That's true. Maybe, I should borrow some money from them, buy some expensive food too and elope with all the food to Bora Bora
Ooh, I'm coming with you!
mathwonk
Nov22-12, 09:38 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 9,421
"I'd spend all of my money"

you guys sound like good marks for an end of the world scam.
Evo
Nov22-12, 09:45 PM
Mentor
Quote Quote by mathwonk View Post
"I'd spend all of my money"

you guys sound like good marks for an end of the world scam.
LOL! Well, it would have to be REALLY certain. So far I have not been rooked by any of the end of the world scams.

But, never say never. And "all of my money" comes to about $150, unless I don't pay that last month's rent.
Drakkith
Nov22-12, 09:50 PM
PF Gold
P: 11,013
I doubt I would live for a month since society would probably break down nearly completely after such a revelation.
Evo
Nov22-12, 09:52 PM
Mentor
Quote Quote by Drakkith View Post
I doubt I would live for a month since society would probably break down nearly completely after such a revelation.
That's really sad. You would think that if the end is here for everyone, everyone would try to make the end the best for all.

But that's just me hoping that humans won't act like humans.
rootX
Nov22-12, 09:53 PM
Ooh, I'm coming with you!
As far you promise not to eat all my chocolates
dlgoff
Nov23-12, 12:36 AM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 2,631
Quote Quote by Andre View Post
Just read On the beach. People would paint the fence and plant new crops for next year. Life goes on. ...
Yep. I'd be right here on Physics Forums.

Register to reply