Active Galaxies and the Unified Model

by chickensagan
Tags: active galaxies, astronomy, undegraduate, unified model
chickensagan
Nov22-12, 03:02 PM
P: 8
Dear all,

I'm a first year undergraduate student and I've been set an essay on the title of the post. I would be very grateful if someone could explain in layman's terms what these things are, and also if someone could tell me where I can find more information on them, preferably in an easy-to-read format.

Thanks in advance
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Cougars' diverse diet helped them survive the Pleistocene mass extinction
Cyber risks can cause disruption on scale of 2008 crisis, study says
Mantis shrimp stronger than airplanes
Drakkith
Nov22-12, 04:05 PM
PF Gold
P: 11,055
Well, what do you already know about them? Have you searched google/wikipedia for them yet?
chickensagan
Nov22-12, 04:23 PM
P: 8
Sorry I should have said.

I've done some googling and looked at a few websites and books. My understanding so far is that they are galaxies which are emitting abnormal amounts of electromagnetic radiation, which some astrophysicists think is caused by a black hole at the centre of said galaxies consuming the matter surrounding it and releasing the energy in the form of jets.

I don't understand how the jets form however.

Also, I've never written a real scientific essay before so if anyone has tips that'd be great.

For those that know how to write them: how does quoting other people's research work?
Do I need to put in the citation number e.g. blah blah blah [2], after every bit of research that I reference? Or do I just put it in once, even if I refer back to the same reference later on in the essay?

Apologies if what I wrote is a little confusing, I don't know how to word it properly.

Drakkith
Nov22-12, 05:53 PM
PF Gold
P: 11,055

Active Galaxies and the Unified Model

The details of how to write your essay should be taught by your teacher, or so I would think. I would ask them how they want it written.

As for the jets, try this article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Relativistic_jet
Chronos
Nov22-12, 06:06 PM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 9,183
Quoting other peoples work in your own paper works much the same as citing court cases in a legal brief, if that helps.

Register to reply