No Inflation in Brane Cosmology: Is Dark Energy the Driver?

In summary, the best model we have at the moment is the brane cosmology model. It admits to inflation in some form, and is still the best model we have.
NeedBranes
In brane cosmology how can there be no such thing as inflation. I was watching a lecture with Neil Turok and he said he made a bet with Hawking that says that the new Planck satellite will give us information that could prove against inflation. So, my question being, instead of inflation in the brane cosmological model is it just dark energy being the driving force of the expansion of the universe?

Space news on Phys.org
The brane cosmology models I am aware of admit to inflation in some form of another. Few cosmological models, brane or otherwise, get by without inflation. Did you have a particular model in mind?

I really just would like to read more about the subject. If anyone can refer me to something it would be greatly appreciated.

As I understand the model popsed by Niel Toruk is not the only comsological model that deals with branes. There are others, some of which include inflation , I believe the term "brane inflation" is employed. Here is an exmaple
http://arxiv.org/abs/hep-th/0610221
If you would like to read more about the brane clash model, you can read this layman book:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/0385509642/?tag=pfamazon01-20
Its a really great book even if you hate the brane clash model. It explains inflation very very well ands gives an insiders view of some recent history of cosmology. Just a really really good read.

As far as Turoks bet with Hawking. It seems Hawking likes throwing money away on bets. I am sure he's got more than any of his fellows so I doubt he cares. Turok bet him that Planck won't find the B mode polarisation which is often called a smoking gun for inflation.Well I've met a few people that work on Planck and they are clear its not designed to find the B mode , that would most likely take a new generation of space probe like EPIC or CORE. If Planck is very lucky it will find it, but its not likley. I don't think that says much about inflation version the brane clash model, but Turok made a pretty smart bet and Hawking's got more money so he likley doesn't mind going out on a limb and taking a gamble. I hope Hawking wins becuase thhat will be major disocvery but my monies on Turok.

Last edited:
http://arxiv.org/abs/hep-th/0610221
If you would like to read more about the brane clash model, you can read this layman book:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/0385509642/?tag=pfamazon01-20
Its a really great book even if you hate the brane clash model. It explains inflation very very well ands gives an insiders view of some recent history of cosmology. Just a really really good read.

So it is still the best model we have? Any latest feed on decoherance problem in ekpyrotic phase of cyclic model.

1. What is Brane Cosmology and how does it explain inflation?

Brane Cosmology is a theory that posits our universe is a three-dimensional "brane" embedded in a higher-dimensional space. In this theory, inflation is caused by the collision of two branes, resulting in a rapid expansion of the universe.

2. How does the absence of inflation in Brane Cosmology challenge current cosmological models?

The absence of inflation in Brane Cosmology challenges the current models because inflation is a key component in explaining the large-scale structure and homogeneity of the universe. Without inflation, other explanations must be found for these observations.

3. What is dark energy and how does it relate to inflation in Brane Cosmology?

Dark energy is a hypothetical form of energy that is thought to be responsible for the accelerating expansion of the universe. In the context of Brane Cosmology, dark energy may be the driver of inflation, as it is thought to be the energy released when two branes collide.

4. How does the absence of inflation affect our understanding of the early universe?

The absence of inflation in Brane Cosmology means that our understanding of the early universe may need to be revised. Inflation is thought to have played a crucial role in the formation of the universe, and without it, we may need to find alternative explanations for the observations we have made.

5. What evidence supports the idea of no inflation in Brane Cosmology?

The main evidence for the idea of no inflation in Brane Cosmology comes from observations of the cosmic microwave background (CMB). These observations show that the universe is isotropic and homogeneous on large scales, which is a key prediction of inflation. However, recent studies have shown that this can also be explained without inflation, leading to the possibility of an inflation-free universe in Brane Cosmology.