Centre of gravity of a submerged body?

In summary, the conversation revolves around the confusion of calculating the center of mass of a submerged body. The notes provided lack clear instructions and diagrams seem to contradict the assumption that the center of mass is the same as that of an object not submerged. The question arises of how to find this point and the suggestion is made that the center of buoyancy may be what is being referred to instead.
derRoboter
Hi guys,

I can't get my head around the centre of mass of a submerged body at all. the notes I've been given don't actually state how you calculate the centre of mass of the submerged body at all and just state it with no decernable pattern. I did assume that it was the centre of mass of that which is not submerged but that doesn't seem to be the case according to some of the diagrams I've been provided with.

how do i find this point?

Cheers

Engineering news on Phys.org
Why would the center of mass of an object have anything to do with whether or not it is submerged or above ground or in outer space?

Perhaps you are thinking of the center of buoyancy, not center of mass?

1. What is the definition of centre of gravity of a submerged body?

The centre of gravity of a submerged body is the point at which the entire weight of the body can be considered to act vertically downwards, regardless of the body's orientation in the water.

2. How is the centre of gravity of a submerged body calculated?

The centre of gravity of a submerged body can be calculated by dividing the total weight of the body by the total volume displaced by the body in the water.

3. Does the centre of gravity of a submerged body change when the body is immersed in different fluids?

Yes, the centre of gravity of a submerged body changes when the body is immersed in different fluids. This is because the weight and volume of the fluid displaced by the body will vary, thus affecting the calculation of the centre of gravity.

4. How does the shape of a submerged body affect its centre of gravity?

The shape of a submerged body can greatly affect its centre of gravity. Bodies with irregular shapes or varying densities will have a more complex centre of gravity, while symmetrical bodies will have a more predictable centre of gravity.

5. Why is the centre of gravity important in determining the stability of a submerged body?

The centre of gravity is important in determining the stability of a submerged body because if the centre of gravity is above the centre of buoyancy, the body will be stable, while if it is below the centre of buoyancy, the body will be unstable and prone to capsizing.