Calculating the Second Moment of Area for Floating Bodies

In summary, the conversation is about understanding an equation for floating bodies and calculating the distance between the center of buoyancy and the meta center. The equation is given as BM = I/V, where BM is the distance, I is the second moment of area, and V is the volume of the submerged portion of the body. The question is how to calculate I, and it is clarified that I is the second moment of area of the horizontal slice through the hull at the waterline, also known as the waterplane. It is recommended to use k for d and the length of the hull for b.
tomtomtom1
Homework Statement
Stability Of Floating Bodies
Relevant Equations
BM = I / V
Hello all

I was hoping someone could help shed some light on understanding an equation for floating bodies.

I am trying to work out the distance between B and M shown in the sketch below:-
STABILITY.JPG

I have been given the equation:-

BM = I/V

BM = is the distance from center of buoyancy to the meta center
I = Is the second moment of area
V = Volume of the submerged portion of the body.

I just want to know how to calculate I?

Is I worked out for the entire floating board or is I worked out for just the portion of the body above the water line or is I calculated to the portion of the body below the water line?

I know that I is bd^3/12 but in my example do i use q for b and k for d - how do you know what values to use and what portion of the bosy I relates to?

Can anyone help?

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
I remember that there's something about stability of floating bodies in "Physics of Continuous Matter Exotic and Everyday Phenomena in the Macroscopic World" by B. Lautrup. Maybe that will help?

tomtomtom1 said:
Is I worked out for the entire floating board or is I worked out for just the portion of the body above the water line or is I calculated to the portion of the body below the water line?
It is the second moment of area of the horizontal slice through the hull at the waterline. This slice is also known as the waterplane.
So use k for d, but b will be the length of the hull (assuming it is just a rectangular box).
This length will also feature in the volume, so will cancel out.

Likes tomtomtom1

1. What is the concept of stability of floating bodies?

The stability of floating bodies refers to the ability of an object to maintain its position and orientation when placed in a fluid, such as water. It is determined by the distribution of weight and buoyancy forces acting on the object.

2. How is the stability of a floating body measured?

The stability of a floating body is typically measured by calculating its metacentric height, which is the distance between the center of gravity and the metacenter. A higher metacentric height indicates greater stability, while a lower one may lead to capsizing.

3. What factors affect the stability of a floating body?

The stability of a floating body can be influenced by various factors, including its shape, size, weight distribution, and the density and viscosity of the fluid in which it is floating. External forces, such as wind and waves, can also impact stability.

4. Can the stability of a floating body be improved?

Yes, the stability of a floating body can be improved by making changes to its design, such as increasing its width or adding ballast to lower its center of gravity. In some cases, stability can also be enhanced by modifying the fluid properties, such as adding foam to increase buoyancy.

5. What happens if a floating body is not stable?

If a floating body is not stable, it may experience capsizing, which is when the center of gravity moves beyond the metacenter, causing the object to overturn. This can lead to dangerous situations, especially in larger ships or boats, and can be prevented by ensuring proper stability calculations and taking appropriate measures to improve stability.