Polynomials of odd degree can have no critical point.

In summary, the conversation discusses assertions about polynomials with real coefficients, specifically regarding the existence of real roots and critical points. The statements are as follows: 1) There exists a polynomial of any even degree without real roots. 2) Polynomials of odd degree have at least one real root, implying that polynomials of even degree have at least one critical point. 3) Polynomials of odd degree can have no critical point. However, the validity of these assertions is questioned and examples are provided to support or refute them. Ultimately, it is concluded that all three statements are true, with the existence of a critical point in even degree polynomials being debatable depending on the definition of "critical point."
batballbat
Are these assertions true?
I am referring to polynomials with real coefficients.
1. There exists of polynomial of any even degree such that it has no real roots.
2. Polynomials of odd degree have atleast one real root
which implies that polynomial of even degree has atleast one critical point.
3. Polynomials of odd degree can have no critical point.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

The first two are. What do you mean by "critical point"? If you mean a place where the derivative is zero, then this is not right.

For 1) a polynomial of degree two that has no real roots is [itex]x^2 +1[/itex]. Do you see how to generalise? For 2) you want to use the Intermediate Value Theorem.

2) not true: example y=x3 + x. It has a real root at x=0, but the derivative is never zero (for real x).
3) not true: example y=x3/3 - x. Critical points at x = 1, -1.

Did you edit #2 from the original post to add the second part? Because I didn't mean to include that part in my response. I was only saying that the first line of #2 is correct.

i don't get it.
Shouldnt a polynomial of even degree have atleast one critical point?

in question 3. i meant for any odd degree we can find a polynomial which has no critical point.

batballbat said:
i don't get it.

in question 3. i meant for any odd degree we can find a polynomial which has no critical point.

All of them are true:

(1) [itex]\,(x^2+1)^n\,[/itex]

(2) The intermediate value theorem for continuous functions

(3) [itex]\,\int (x^2+1)^ndx\,[/itex]

DonAntonio

batballbat said:
i don't get it.

Yes, it does, apparently I have misread your post twice now. If all odd polys. have a real root, then this means that the derivative of all even degree polys. have a zero, which means all even degree polys. have a critical point.

1. What is a polynomial of odd degree?

A polynomial of odd degree is a mathematical expression in the form of ax^n + bx^(n-1) + ... + cx + d, where n is an odd number and a, b, c, and d are constants. It is called "odd" because the highest degree term has an odd power.

2. What is a critical point?

A critical point is a point on a graph where the slope of the tangent line is equal to zero, or where the derivative of the function is equal to zero. It can be a maximum, minimum, or an inflection point.

3. Can a polynomial of odd degree have no critical point?

Yes, it is possible for a polynomial of odd degree to have no critical point. This is because the derivative of a polynomial of odd degree will have an even degree, and an even degree polynomial can have no real roots, meaning there are no points where the derivative is equal to zero.

4. How can you prove that a polynomial of odd degree has no critical point?

To prove that a polynomial of odd degree has no critical point, you can take the derivative of the polynomial and set it equal to zero. If the resulting equation has no real solutions, then the polynomial has no critical point.

5. What is the significance of a polynomial of odd degree having no critical point?

The lack of a critical point in a polynomial of odd degree means that the function is either monotonically increasing or decreasing. This can provide valuable information about the behavior of the function and its graph.