Questions regarding polynomial divisions and their roots

In summary: As you note, this is just a workaround. A better way to define the function is by considering the limit of the function as x approaches a. In this case, we would find that the limit is indeed 0, so we could define f(a)=0 and have a continuous function.In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of polynomials and the definition of a polynomial with a root at a certain point with a certain multiplicity. It also addresses the question of whether a quotient of two polynomials with no remainder can result in a polynomial, and if so, if it can have roots at points where the denominator is zero. The answer is yes, as long as one of the polynomials is of degree 1
Adgorn
Hello everyone,
Going through calculus study, there is a vague point regarding polynomials I'd like to make clear.

Say there's a polynomial ##f## with a root at ##a## with multiplicity ##2##, i.e. ##f(x)=(x-a)^2g(x)## where ##g## is some other polynomial. I define ##h(x)=\frac {f(x)} {x-a}##. If I understand correctly, ##h(x)=(x-a)g(x)## for all ##x≠a## and is undefined at ##x=a##.

Now, although ##h(a)## is undefined, it is quite clearly divisible by ##x-a##. The book I'm using seems to treat this as a polynomial, despite the fact that it has point where it is undefined. I'm guessing it does that by assuming that ##h(a)=0## or something of the sort, but I'm not sure, which leads my to my questions:

1. For a polynomial ##f##, are the statements that ##f(a)=0##, that ##f## has a root at ##a## and that that ##f## is divisible by ##x-a## identical?
2. Does dividing 2 polynomials (without a remainder) result in a polynomial? If so, can that polynomial have roots at points where the denominator of the division was 0?

Thanks in advance to all the helpers

Physics news on Phys.org
Without multiplicities, a polynomial f(x) that is zero at a1, a2, a3, ... an, can be expressed as:
C(x-a1)(x-a2)(x-a3)...(x-an) where C is the constant factor for the ##x^n## term.

So your ##h(x)## has an ##x-a## in both the numerator and denominator, making it undefined at ##x=a##. But it is otherwise identical to ##h2(x)## that is defined as the removable by synthetic division of one (x-a) term from f(x).

In your example, ##h2(a)## will be zero only because there were two (x-a) terms originally.

To answer you questions:
1) Yes.
2) Yes, as long as the method of division does not result in the inclusion of an (x-a)/x-a) term.
Adgorn said:
Hello everyone,
Going through calculus study, there is a vague point regarding polynomials I'd like to make clear.

Say there's a polynomial ##f## with a root at ##a## with multiplicity ##2##, i.e. ##f(x)=(x-a)^2g(x)## where ##g## is some other polynomial. I define ##h(x)=\frac {f(x)} {x-a}##. If I understand correctly, ##h(x)=(x-a)g(x)## for all ##x≠a## and is undefined at ##x=a##.

Now, although ##h(a)## is undefined, it is quite clearly divisible by ##x-a##. The book I'm using seems to treat this as a polynomial, despite the fact that it has point where it is undefined. I'm guessing it does that by assuming that ##h(a)=0## or something of the sort, but I'm not sure, which leads my to my questions:

1. For a polynomial ##f##, are the statements that ##f(a)=0##, that ##f## has a root at ##a## and that that ##f## is divisible by ##x-a## identical?
2. Does dividing 2 polynomials (without a remainder) result in a polynomial? If so, can that polynomial have roots at points where the denominator of the division was 0?

Thanks in advance to all the helpers

Likes Adgorn
.Scott said:
Without multiplicities, a polynomial f(x) that is zero at a1, a2, a3, ... an, can be expressed as:
C(x-a1)(x-a2)(x-a3)...(x-an) where C is the constant factor for the ##x^n## term

Who said we are working over an algebraically closed field?

I.e. what you wrote is not true for ##x^2+1## over the real numbers.

Likes Adgorn
That particular statement of mine requires an algebraically closed field.
But what it illustrates applies whether or not the OP is working with complex numbers.

Likes Adgorn
.Scott said:
That particular statement of mine requires an algebraically closed field.
But what it illustrates applies whether or not the OP is working with complex numbers.

Nobody mentioned complex numbers, but point taken.

Likes Adgorn
Adgorn said:
1. For a polynomial ##f##, are the statements that ##f(a)=0##, that ##f## has a root at ##f## and that that ##f## is divisible by ##x−a## identical?
Yes; to see this, one can show that for any polynomial ##P##, ##x-a## divides ##P(x)-P(a)##. From this the equivalence of the three statements should follow.

Adgorn said:
If you’re referring to the quotient ##P(x)/Q(x)## of functions P and Q, then in general it doesn’t make sense to evaluate the quotient at zeroes of Q. However if P and Q are polynomials, then there is a more natural interpretation using polynomial division. If ##Q(x)=x-a##, then we have a unique polynomial ##R(x)## such that ##P(x)=(x-a)R(x)+P(a)##, and we can write ##P(x)/(x-a)## as ##R(x)+P(a)/(x-a)##, which agrees with the former.
If ##P(a)=0##, then we can extend the quotient of functions ##P(x)/(x-a): \mathbb{R}-\{a\}\to\mathbb{R}## to a function defined on all of ##\mathbb{R}## by computing ##R(x)##, which can be done with polynomial long division.

Likes Adgorn
Just to add a point that may be helpful: one may have a polynomial _split_ , i.e., h(x)=f(x)g(x) . Unless one of the t wo is linear , there is no guarantee h has a root if the underlying field is not complete. For that guarantee, you need one of the polys to be of degree 1.

Likes Adgorn
Adgorn said:
You are correct and it is very good that you are keeping track of the exception points of your calculations. This is an example where everyone just gets used to defining the resulting function to the value at that point which extends it to equal the polynomial at that point. They are a little careless in not stating that fact at least once somewhere.

Last edited:
Likes Adgorn
Adgorn said:
Hello everyone,

A point that may be helpful. Note that, while what you say is correct, strictly speaking, it is possible to define f(x) at x=a, albeit not always in such a way as to make it continuous. While f(x), as written , is not defined at x=a, it is possible to define it. Defining f(a)=0 is a possibility.

Likes Adgorn
.Scott said:
C(x-a1)(x-a2)(x-a3)...(x-an) where C is the constant factor for the ##x^n## term.

So your ##h(x)## has an ##x-a## in both the numerator and denominator, making it undefined at ##x=a##. But it is otherwise identical to ##h2(x)## that is defined as the removable by synthetic division of one (x-a) term from f(x).

In your example, ##h2(a)## will be zero only because there were two (x-a) terms originally.

To answer you questions:
1) Yes.
2) Yes, as long as the method of division does not result in the inclusion of an (x-a)/x-a) term.
suremarc said:
Yes; to see this, one can show that for any polynomial ##P##, ##x-a## divides ##P(x)-P(a)##. From this the equivalence of the three statements should follow.If you’re referring to the quotient ##P(x)/Q(x)## of functions P and Q, then in general it doesn’t make sense to evaluate the quotient at zeroes of Q. However if P and Q are polynomials, then there is a more natural interpretation using polynomial division. If ##Q(x)=x-a##, then we have a unique polynomial ##R(x)## such that ##P(x)=(x-a)R(x)+P(a)##, and we can write ##P(x)/(x-a)## as ##R(x)+P(a)/(x-a)##, which agrees with the former.
If ##P(a)=0##, then we can extend the quotient of functions ##P(x)/(x-a): \mathbb{R}-\{a\}\to\mathbb{R}## to a function defined on all of ##\mathbb{R}## by computing ##R(x)##, which can be done with polynomial long division.
FactChecker said:
You are correct and it is very good that you are keeping track of the exception points of your calculations. This is an example where everyone just gets used to defining the resulting function to the value at that point which extends it to equal the polynomial at that point. They are a little careless in not stating that fact at least once somewhere.
WWGD said:
A point that may be helpful. Note that, while what you say is correct, strictly speaking, it is possible to define f(x) at x=a, albeit not always in such a way as to make it continuous. While f(x), as written , is not defined at x=a, it is possible to define it. Defining f(a)=0 is a possibility.

Thanks for all the helpful comments!

So, if I understand correctly (I'm currently working with the real numbers), when we have a polynomial ##f(x)=g(x)h(x)## where ##g## has roots and we divide to obtain ##\frac {f} {g}##, the initial result is not actually ##h##, but rather a function that is equal to ##h## at all points except at the roots of ##g##. At the points of those roots it is undefined, because the function ##\frac f g## essentially takes the value of ##h## at those points, multiplies it by ##0## then divides it by ##0##, which makes it undefined.

In order to make the quotient ##\frac {f(x)} {g(x)}## equal to ##h(x)## for all ##x##, we can either cancel out the factors of ##g(x)## in the quotient itself, or we can define the function ##\frac {f(x)} {g(x)}## to be equal ##h(x)## at those points.

The important thing to keep in mind (again, if I understand correctly), is that unless either of those steps is performed, the quotient ##\frac f g## is not actually a polynomial (assuming ##g## has roots), since it is undefined at some points. Only after one of those steps is performed (for example, by polynomial long division which is identical to canceling out the factors), is the function ##h(x)## obtained.

Hopefully I got that right,

Adgorn said:
Thanks for all the helpful comments!

So, if I understand correctly (I'm currently working with the real numbers), when we have a polynomial ##f(x)=g(x)h(x)## where ##g## has roots and we divide to obtain ##\frac {f} {g}##, the initial result is not actually ##h##, but rather a function that is equal to ##h## at all points except at the roots of ##g##. At the points of those roots it is undefined, because the function ##\frac f g## essentially takes the value of ##h## at those points, multiplies it by ##0## then divides it by ##0##, which makes it undefined.

In order to make the quotient ##\frac {f(x)} {g(x)}## equal to ##h(x)## for all ##x##, we can either cancel out the factors of ##g(x)## in the quotient itself, or we can define the function ##\frac {f(x)} {g(x)}## to be equal ##h(x)## at those points.

The important thing to keep in mind (again, if I understand correctly), is that unless either of those steps is performed, the quotient ##\frac f g## is not actually a polynomial (assuming ##g## has roots), since it is undefined at some points. Only after one of those steps is performed (for example, by polynomial long division which is identical to canceling out the factors), is the function ##h(x)## obtained.

Hopefully I got that right,

The main idea is certainly correct, but you must watch out with situations like

##f(x) = 1, g(x) = x##

Neither is the quotient ##f/g## a polynomial, nor can it be defined in a "continuous" way at ##0##.

Math_QED said:
The main idea is certainly correct, but you must watch out with situations like

##f(x) = 1, g(x) = x##

Neither is the quotient ##f/g## a polynomial, nor can it be defined in a "continuous" way at ##0##.

Of course, all these deductions are based on the assumption that ##f(x)=g(x)h(x)##, if that isn't the case the statements would be false, for example if the denominator is of a higher degree than the numerator, like in your example.

Thanks for the help everyone

Adgorn said:

You are correct. However, you will find writings on mathematics that use the convention that a function defined by an algebraic expression ##w(x)## that fails to define a value at an isolated point x = a is "understood" to take the value ##lim_{x \rightarrow a} w(x)## when that limit exists. For example, people writing in that style don't distinguish between the constant function ##w(x)## defined as ##w(x) =1 ## and the function ##w(x)## defined as ##w(x) = x/x##.

1. What is polynomial division?

Polynomial division is a mathematical process used to divide one polynomial by another polynomial. It involves finding the quotient and remainder when dividing the two polynomials.

2. How do you perform polynomial division?

To perform polynomial division, you need to follow the steps of long division, dividing the highest degree terms of the numerator and denominator, and then continuing to divide the resulting terms until there is no remainder left.

3. What is the remainder in polynomial division?

The remainder in polynomial division is the term or expression that is left over after dividing the numerator by the denominator. It is typically written as "R" followed by the remainder term.

4. What are the roots of a polynomial?

The roots of a polynomial are the values of the variable that make the polynomial equal to zero. They are also known as solutions or zeros of the polynomial.

5. How do you find the roots of a polynomial?

To find the roots of a polynomial, you can use the polynomial division method to factor the polynomial into linear and quadratic factors. Then, set each factor equal to zero and solve for the variable to find the roots.