Register to reply

Why solids aren't organized in simple cubic (SC) and Simple Hexagonal(SH) ?

by ShizukaSm
Tags: cubic, hexagonalsh, organized, simple, solids
Share this thread:
ShizukaSm
Nov17-12, 07:12 AM
P: 85
My book mentioned that SC and SH are both "Theoretical arrangement" for crystal lattices, and later posed the question "Why it doesn't happen?", however it never provided an answer.

Well, I can 'sort of' (very non-scientifically, mind you) imagine why, three stacked layers of spheres(atoms) would rather fall in an alternate pattern than stay in perfectly tangential organization, Is there a better answer however? I mean, a better reason?

Thanks in advance
Phys.Org News Partner Chemistry news on Phys.org
Ice cream goes Southern, okra extracts may increase shelf-life
The fluorescent fingerprint of plastics
Researchers develop models to study polyelectrolytes, including DNA and RNA
toastisme
Nov24-12, 05:36 PM
P: 2
My guess is, firstly SC (1 atom per unit cell) is rare in nature as BCC (2 atoms per unit cell) and FCC (4 atoms per unit cell) are more efficient forms of cubic packing and so are more common. I'm not sure about SH.
Secondly, it doesn't happen in nature because nothing is a perfect crystal of pure material. There's always impurities, dislocations, vacancies etc.
DrDu
Nov25-12, 10:05 AM
Sci Advisor
P: 3,593
I think simple cubic is realized in a high pressure allotroph of phosphorus and is the most stable structure at normal pressure and temperature of polonium. So it is quite exotic but possible.

chill_factor
Nov25-12, 04:18 PM
P: 896
Why solids aren't organized in simple cubic (SC) and Simple Hexagonal(SH) ?

isn't cesium chloride SC?
DrDu
Nov26-12, 02:01 AM
Sci Advisor
P: 3,593
Quote Quote by chill_factor View Post
isn't cesium chloride SC?
There are plenty of examples with a simple cubic or hexagonal lattice, but I suppose what the OP meant was crystal structures with a simple cubic or hexagonal lattice and a one-atom basis.

Register to reply