Partial derivatives after a transformation

by MarkovMarakov
Tags: pde
Share this thread:
MarkovMarakov
Nov25-12, 04:27 AM
P: 34
Suppose I have a transformation

[tex](x'_1,x'_2)=(f(x_1,x_2), g(x_1,x_2))[/tex] and I wish to find [tex]\partial x'_1\over \partial x'_2[/tex] how do I do it?

If it is difficult to find a general expression for this, what if we suppose [itex]f,g[/itex] are simply linear combinations of [itex]x_1,x_2[/itex] so something like [itex]ax_1+bx_2[/itex] where [itex]a,b[/itex] are constants?
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Experts defend operational earthquake forecasting, counter critiques
EU urged to convert TV frequencies to mobile broadband
Sierra Nevada freshwater runoff could drop 26 percent by 2100
arildno
Nov25-12, 05:39 AM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
PF Gold
P: 12,016
Quote Quote by MarkovMarakov View Post
Suppose I have a transformation

[tex](x'_1,x'_2)=(f(x_1,x_2), g(x_1,x_2))[/tex] and I wish to find [tex]\partial x'_1\over \partial x'_2[/tex] how do I do it?

If it is difficult to find a general expression for this, what if we suppose [itex]f,g[/itex] are simply linear combinations of [itex]x_1,x_2[/itex] so something like [itex]ax_1+bx_2[/itex] where [itex]a,b[/itex] are constants?
Let the following transformation rules hold:
[tex]x'_1=f(x_1,x_2)[/tex]
[tex]x'_2=g(x_1,x_2)[/tex]
[tex]x_1=F(x'_1,x'_2)[/tex]
[tex]x_2=G(x'_1,x'_2)[/tex]

Then, we clearly have, for example the identity:
[tex]x'_1=f(F(x'_1,x'_2),G(x'_1,x'_2))[/tex]
Since the pair of marked variables (and the unmarked) are independent from each other, we have the requirement on the functional relationship:
[tex]\frac{\partial{x}_{1}^{'}}{\partial{x}_{2}^{'}}=0=\frac{\partial{f}}{\p artial{x}_{1}}\frac{\partial{F}}{\partial{x}_{2}^{'}}+\frac{\partial{f} }{\partial{x}_{2}}\frac{\partial{G}}{\partial{x}_{2}^{'}}[/tex]
arildno
Nov25-12, 06:44 AM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
PF Gold
P: 12,016
Suppose you have, say:
x=u^2-v^2
y=u+v
How can you utilize those implied requirements in the previous post to derive the the correct representations of u and v in terms of x and y?

Note that in this case, it is fairly trivial to find it by algrebrac means; dividing the first relationship by the second, we have x/y=u-v, and thus:
u=1/2(x/y+y), v=1/2(y-x/y)

However, using instead the four identities gained from the above requirements, we have
[tex]\frac{\partial{x}}{\partial{x}}=1=2u\frac{\partial{u}}{\partial{x}}-2v\frac{\partial{v}}{\partial{x}}[/tex]
[tex]\frac{\partial{x}}{\partial{y}}=0=2u\frac{\partial{u}}{\partial{y}}-2v\frac{\partial{v}}{\partial{y}}[/tex]
[tex]\frac{\partial{y}}{\partial{y}}=1=\frac{\partial{u}}{\partial{y}}+\frac {\partial{v}}{\partial{y}}[/tex]
[tex]\frac{\partial{y}}{\partial{x}}=0=\frac{\partial{u}}{\partial{x}}+\frac {\partial{v}}{\partial{x}}[/tex]

from these, you should be able to derive the above relations.

Note, for example, that by combining the first and fourth and the known relation y=u+v, you get:
[tex]\frac{\partial{u}}{\partial{x}}=\frac{1}{2y}[/tex]
meaning that we must have u(x,y)=x/2y+h(y), where h(y) is some function of y.
Applying the fourth, you get v(x,y)=b(y)-x/2y, for some b(y)

By using known and gained information, you will be able to determine h(y) and b(y) from the second and third relationships.

MarkovMarakov
Nov25-12, 11:38 AM
P: 34
Partial derivatives after a transformation

Thank you, arildno.

Register to reply