Help with Canonical Poisson Brackets & EM Field

In summary, the Lagrangian for a particle moving in an eletromagnetic field is $$\mathcal{L}=\dfrac{m}{2}(\dot{x}^2_1+\dot{x}^2_2+\dot{x}^2_3)-q\varphi+\dfrac{q}{c}\vec{A}\cdot\dot{\vec{x}}.$$ The conjugated momenta of the generalized coordinates are: $$p_1=m\dot{x}_1-\dfrac{qB}{2c}x_2,$$ $$p_2=m\dot{x}_2+\df
Matthew_
We were introduced the lagrangian for a particle moving in an eletromagnetic field (for context, this was a brief introduction before dealing with Zeeman effect) as $$\mathcal{L}=\dfrac{m}{2}(\dot{x}^2_1+\dot{x}^2_2+\dot{x}^2_3)-q\varphi+\dfrac{q}{c}\vec{A}\cdot\dot{\vec{x}}.$$ A "velocity-dependent generalized potential" appears. For a constant magnetic field oriented along the ##x_3## axis:$$\vec{A}=\frac{B}{2}(x_1\hat{u}_2-x_2\hat{u}_1).$$
Now, the conjugated momenta of the generalized coordinates are: $$p_1=m\dot{x}_1-\dfrac{qB}{2c}x_2,$$ $$p_2=m\dot{x}_2+\dfrac{qB}{2c}x_1,$$ $$p_3=m\dot{x}_3.$$
It was claimed that canonical poisson brackets hold, namely ##\left\{p_i,p_j\right\}=0##. I have no idea why this is the case tho, since the derivation of the lagrangian with respect of the generalized velocities gives a clear dependence between the coordinates and the adjoint momenta. Evaluating ##\left\{p_1,p_2\right\}## I think I should get something like (summation over j is omitted): $$\left\{p_1,p_2\right\}=\frac{\partial p_1}{\partial x_j}\frac{\partial p_2}{\partial p_j}-\frac{\partial p_1}{\partial p_j}\frac{\partial p_2}{\partial x_j}=\frac{\partial p_1}{\partial x_2}-\frac{\partial p_2}{\partial x_1}=-\frac{qB}{c}\neq 0.$$ Is there some reason why this does not work?

Physics news on Phys.org
The canonical Poisson brackets hold by definition, because for phase-space functions ##A## and ##B## by definition
$$\{A,B \}=\frac{\partial A}{\partial q_j} \frac{\partial B}{\partial p_j} - \frac{\partial B}{\partial q_j} \frac{\partial A}{\partial p_j}.$$
To calculate Poisson brackets you have to express all quantities with the ##q_j## and ##p_j## as independent variables, i.e., you have to eliminate the ##\dot{q}_j## using the ##p_j## and ##q_j## first. So it's the other way, i.e., now the Poisson brackets between the velocities are non-zero now. You have
$$\dot{\vec{x}}=\frac{1}{m}(\vec{p}-q \vec{A}/c),$$
i.e.,
$$[\dot{x}_j,\dot{x}_k]=\frac{1}{m^2} \left [-\frac{q}{c} \frac{\partial A_j}{\partial x_i} \delta_{ki} +\delta_{ij} \frac{q}{c} \frac{\partial A_k}{\partial x_i} \right] = \frac{q}{mc} \left (\frac{\partial A_k}{\partial x_j}-\frac{\partial A_j}{\partial x_i} \right) = \frac{q}{mc} \epsilon_{jki} B_i,$$
where I've used that ##\vec{B}=\vec{\nabla} \times \vec{A}##.

The Hamiltonian formulation is derived by first calculating the Hamiltonian as a function of the coordinates and canonical momenta,
$$H=\vec{x} \cdot \vec{p}-L=\frac{m}{2} \dot{\vec{x}}^2+q \varphi=\frac{1}{2m} (\vec{p}-q/c \vec{A})^2+q \varphi.$$
Then the equations of motion are the Hamilton canonical equations,
$$\dot{\vec{x}}=\frac{\partial H}{\partial \vec{p}} = \{\vec{x},H \}, \quad \dot{\vec{p}}=-\frac{\partial H}{\partial \vec{x}}=\{\vec{p},H \}.$$
Note that the canonical momenta ##\vec{p}## are not the mechanical momenta, ##\vec{\pi}=m \dot{\vec{x}}=\vec{p}-q \vec{A}/c##.

• Love
Likes malawi_glenn and Matthew_
vanhees71 said:
The canonical Poisson brackets hold by definition, because for phase-space functions ##A## and ##B## by definition
$$\{A,B \}=\frac{\partial A}{\partial q_j} \frac{\partial B}{\partial p_j} - \frac{\partial B}{\partial q_j} \frac{\partial A}{\partial p_j}.$$
To calculate Poisson brackets you have to express all quantities with the ##q_j## and ##p_j## as independent variables, i.e., you have to eliminate the ##\dot{q}_j## using the ##p_j## and ##q_j## first. So it's the other way, i.e., now the Poisson brackets between the velocities are non-zero now. You have
$$\dot{\vec{x}}=\frac{1}{m}(\vec{p}-q \vec{A}/c),$$
i.e.,
$$[\dot{x}_j,\dot{x}_k]=\frac{1}{m^2} \left [-\frac{q}{c} \frac{\partial A_j}{\partial x_i} \delta_{ki} +\delta_{ij} \frac{q}{c} \frac{\partial A_k}{\partial x_i} \right] = \frac{q}{mc} \left (\frac{\partial A_k}{\partial x_j}-\frac{\partial A_j}{\partial x_i} \right) = \frac{q}{mc} \epsilon_{jki} B_i,$$
where I've used that ##\vec{B}=\vec{\nabla} \times \vec{A}##.

The Hamiltonian formulation is derived by first calculating the Hamiltonian as a function of the coordinates and canonical momenta,
$$H=\vec{x} \cdot \vec{p}-L=\frac{m}{2} \dot{\vec{x}}^2+q \varphi=\frac{1}{2m} (\vec{p}-q/c \vec{A})^2+q \varphi.$$
Then the equations of motion are the Hamilton canonical equations,
$$\dot{\vec{x}}=\frac{\partial H}{\partial \vec{p}} = \{\vec{x},H \}, \quad \dot{\vec{p}}=-\frac{\partial H}{\partial \vec{x}}=\{\vec{p},H \}.$$
Note that the canonical momenta ##\vec{p}## are not the mechanical momenta, ##\vec{\pi}=m \dot{\vec{x}}=\vec{p}-q \vec{A}/c##.
Thank you, this was illuminating

Likes vanhees71

1. What are Canonical Poisson Brackets and how do they relate to the EM field?

Canonical Poisson Brackets are a mathematical tool used in classical mechanics to describe the dynamics of a system. They are used to determine the equations of motion for a system of particles or fields. In the context of the electromagnetic (EM) field, the Poisson Brackets can be used to calculate the time evolution of the electric and magnetic fields.

2. How are Canonical Poisson Brackets calculated?

Canonical Poisson Brackets are calculated using a specific formula that involves taking the partial derivatives of the coordinates and momenta of a system. The formula is given by {A, B} = ∑(∂A/∂q_i * ∂B/∂p_i - ∂A/∂p_i * ∂B/∂q_i), where A and B are functions of the coordinates and momenta, and q_i and p_i represent the coordinates and momenta of the system.

3. What is the significance of Canonical Poisson Brackets in classical mechanics?

Canonical Poisson Brackets are significant in classical mechanics because they allow us to describe the dynamics of a system in a concise and elegant way. They also reveal important relationships between different physical quantities, such as the electric and magnetic fields in the case of the EM field.

4. How are Canonical Poisson Brackets used in the study of the EM field?

In the study of the EM field, Canonical Poisson Brackets are used to derive the equations of motion for the electric and magnetic fields. These equations can then be used to predict the behavior of the fields in different situations, such as the propagation of electromagnetic waves or the interaction of the fields with charged particles.

5. Are Canonical Poisson Brackets still relevant in modern physics?

Yes, Canonical Poisson Brackets are still relevant in modern physics, particularly in the study of classical systems. They have also been extended to quantum mechanics, where they are known as commutators, and are used to describe the dynamics of quantum systems. In addition, they have applications in other areas of physics, such as statistical mechanics and fluid dynamics.