Register to reply

Using Parametrics to Draw a Picture Advice

by Skyler0114
Tags: advice, drawing, equation, parametrics, picture
Share this thread:
Skyler0114
Nov25-12, 09:54 PM
P: 24
Disclaimer: Even though this problem originates from a project I was given in a math class, it doesn't really follow the format of any homework assignment and is really much more about general math question.
In my math class I was given a project to draw an image with parametric equations.
I want to have a bit of fun with this. I was looking into doing a simplified version of starry night based off this picture:

I have to represent my drawing with a single equation, but I can define different equations on different intervals of t, so thats not a real problem.
I wanted to ask several general questions to get this project underway.
1. are there any programs you guys can point me to in order to graph a lot of parametrics each on different intervals of t.
2. are there any functions you guys can think of that approach 1 for a very small interval of t and is almost 0 for all other intervals of t.
3. same as second except approaches t and is 1 at all other values.
4. same as second except approaches t and is 0 at all other values.
5. Any ideas for a good set of general parametric functions to represent each petal in the tower. A function that I can then modify the intervals/equations to make most of the rest.
Phys.Org News Partner Mathematics news on Phys.org
Heat distributions help researchers to understand curved space
Professor quantifies how 'one thing leads to another'
Team announces construction of a formal computer-verified proof of the Kepler conjecture

Register to reply