Parametric equations questions

In summary, Dapperdub has joined a forum and asked three questions related to parametric equations and functions. The first question was regarding whether a curve C, defined by parametric equations x=f(t) and y=g(t), can still be considered a function if it does not pass the vertical line test. The expert responded that while C may not pass the VLT in the x-y plane, it is still a function of t in the x-y-t plane. The second and third questions were about the relationship between parametric equations and functions, and the expert provided some examples and advice for understanding the concepts. Overall, Dapperdub was satisfied with the expert's responses and gained a better understanding of the topic.
Dapperdub
Hi everybody, i just joined. Here's my first post

I have a few questions.

When looking at curve C and by the eye test, it doesn't pass the VLT, even though x=f (t ) and y=g (t) are functions,...then overall with curve C not passing the VLT, is it still a function since f (t) and g (t) are?

I feel like curve C is still a function because it just shows the path of the parametric equations based on coordinates that are functions. Is my understanding correct on this assumptios?

2nd question
Can parametric equations take in f (t) and g (t) as relations or will there be an error of some sort?

3rd
Is there any relation or similarites (maybe in graphs) between compositing functions vs parametric equations?

Thanks in advance!

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Hi Dapperdub, welcome to PF.
In regards to curve C, the curve plotted in the x-y plane cannot be defined simply by a "function" y= f(x). The vertical line test is to determine if y is a proper function of x. In this case they are functions of t, so if you were to plot in the x,y,t plane, you should see a unique (x,y) value for each distinct t input, so C is a function of t.

I am not sure how to address your second and third questions. Can you provide a little more detail about an application or example you are considering?

Likes Dapperdub
RUber said:
Hi Dapperdub, welcome to PF.
In regards to curve C, the curve plotted in the x-y plane cannot be defined simply by a "function" y= f(x). The vertical line test is to determine if y is a proper function of x. In this case they are functions of t, so if you were to plot in the x,y,t plane, you should see a unique (x,y) value for each distinct t input, so C is a function of t.

I am not sure how to address your second and third questions. Can you provide a little more detail about an application or example you are considering?

Wow!...perfect answer for my 1st question! I figured it so and when you brought up the x, y, t plane it made it all the more clearer! Thank you!

As for clarity on my second question…let’s see if I can rephrase it.

Let’s say f(t) is an equation of a horizontal parabola and g(t) is some function …what happens in terms of its parametric graph? Does it produce two paths in curve C since there are 2 y values for the same x from the horizontal parabola f(t)?

And for question 3

Im just wondering …..It just seems like parametric equations is similar to compositing functions (i.e. f(g(x))). Are there any similarities or correlations of the 2 concepts at all?

So, you are looking at f(t) which is not a function, such as f(t) = t and -t, this is not a parabola, but for simplicity's sake it gives the same effect of having two outputs.
and if x=f(t), y = g(t) were your parametrization scheme, then yes, you would have two outputs for each t.
You will generally not see this, since it makes it very difficult to find a unique solution. In these cases, you would separate f(t) into f_+ and f_- and solve each one individually.

For the third point, yes. When possible, thinking of parametric equations as composed functions is helpful.
You might have a parametrized curve C with points x(t) and y(t), but there might be a function y = f(x). In which case y(t) can be written as f(x(t)).

There are times when these different perspectives are more useful than others, and the best advice I have seen given is to work a lot of problems and gain some intuition.

Likes Dapperdub
RUber said:
So, you are looking at f(t) which is not a function, such as f(t) = t and -t, this is not a parabola, but for simplicity's sake it gives the same effect of having two outputs.
and if x=f(t), y = g(t) were your parametrization scheme, then yes, you would have two outputs for each t.
You will generally not see this, since it makes it very difficult to find a unique solution. In these cases, you would separate f(t) into f_+ and f_- and solve each one individually.

For the third point, yes. When possible, thinking of parametric equations as composed functions is helpful.
You might have a parametrized curve C with points x(t) and y(t), but there might be a function y = f(x). In which case y(t) can be written as f(x(t)).

There are times when these different perspectives are more useful than others, and the best advice I have seen given is to work a lot of problems and gain some intuition.

You're right some information is useful than others, but yet it still bothered me. I just want to make sure I understand as much angles as i possibly can about the concept of parametric.

Thank you for your insight! I can rest for a bit until the next question arises...

What are parametric equations?

Parametric equations are a way to represent the relationship between two variables, typically x and y, in terms of a third variable, usually t.

Why are parametric equations useful?

Parametric equations allow us to describe complex curves and shapes that cannot be easily represented by a single equation.

How do you graph parametric equations?

To graph parametric equations, you can plot points by plugging in different values for the parameter t and connecting them with a smooth curve. You can also use a graphing calculator or software to visualize the graph.

What is the difference between parametric equations and rectangular equations?

In rectangular equations, the relationship between variables is given by a single equation, while in parametric equations, the relationship is given by two separate equations for each variable in terms of a third parameter.

Can parametric equations be used to solve real-world problems?

Yes, parametric equations are often used in physics, engineering, and other fields to model and solve real-world problems involving motion, trajectories, and other complex systems.