Register to reply

Christmas Physics Wish List?

by Ascendant78
Tags: christmas, list, physics
Share this thread:
Ascendant78
Nov25-12, 08:56 PM
P: 287
I am a freshman in physics at this point, and looking to get some ideas of some things that I might want to add to my Christmas wish list involving my profession? Although this probably won't make much of a difference, I am a 34 year old adult changing professions to one I have always loved, and I would really like some new toys to play with that I will enjoy and at the same time will teach me more about physics.

My primary passions are in quantum physics and astrophysics, though I plan to get my doctorate in something involved in quantum. I was considering a microscope, though I felt this isn't going to help me learn a whole lot about physics, but rather chemistry. Also, a telescope is off the table. Nobody that is giving me gifts has enough money to get one that would be very powerful, and I know I would get tired of it fast. Besides, I find plenty of images from space online.

So, does anyone have any other ideas? The price range should be around $10-$40 or so. I appreciate any feedback anyone can provide.
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Detecting neutrinos, physicists look into the heart of the Sun
Measurement at Big Bang conditions confirms lithium problem
Researchers study gallium to design adjustable electronic components
Bobbywhy
Nov25-12, 10:15 PM
PF Gold
P: 1,908
My suggestion is to request this free catalog from Edmund Scientific:
http://www.scientificsonline.com/cat...ubscribe/index

Once you have it chances are you will find some items that interest you and are within your price limitations.

Good luck with furthering your education in the sciences!

Cheers,
Bobbywhy
ZombieFeynman
Nov26-12, 01:27 AM
PF Gold
P: 308
A low quality but working gyroscope can be obtained for under 15 dollars. They are quite amusing. The quality can be cheaply improved by applying some lubrication to the pivot.

Ascendant78
Nov26-12, 07:54 AM
P: 287
Christmas Physics Wish List?

Thanks for the suggestions. I used to have a gyroscope when I was a kid, but no idea where it is at now. As far as the catalog, took a quick look and it looks interesting!

Register to reply