Register to reply

Clopen subsets of the reals?

by SMA_01
Tags: clopen, reals, subsets
Share this thread:
SMA_01
Nov27-12, 01:17 AM
P: 218
Prove that the only subset of ℝ with the absolute value metric that are both open and closed are ℝ and ∅.

I know I'm supposed to prove by contradiction, but i'm having trouble:

Suppose there exists a clopen subset A of ℝ, where A≠ℝ, A≠∅. Let [x,y] be a closed interval in ℝ, where x is in A and y is in A' (complement of A). Now, let b=sup{z[itex]\in[/itex][x,y]|z[itex]\in[/itex]A}. Then I know b[itex]\in[/itex]A or b[itex]\in[/itex]A'.

I know that b is an upper bound for A implies b is a lower bound for A'. I'm just not sure how to arrive at a contradiction. I'm still not grasping the intuition behind it, can anyone explain intuitively what this means?

Thanks.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
What lit up the universe?
Sheepdogs use just two simple rules to round up large herds of sheep
Animals first flex their muscles
micromass
Nov27-12, 01:23 AM
Mentor
P: 18,277
Quote Quote by SMA_01 View Post
I know that b is an upper bound for A implies b is a lower bound for A'.
That's not true is it? Take A=[a,b], then b is an upper bound of A. But [itex]A^\prime=(-\infty,a)\cup (b,+\infty)[/itex] and b is certainly not a lower bound of this.

Anyway, by definition you know that b is the supremum of [itex][x,y]\cap A[/itex]. But the set [itex][x,y]\cap A[/itex] is closed (what is your definition of closed anyway?), what does that tel you about b?
SMA_01
Nov27-12, 06:16 AM
Oh okay, I see my mistake.
Closed means a set contains its limit points. So if that intersection is closed, then b is in A?

micromass
Nov27-12, 08:34 AM
Mentor
Clopen subsets of the reals?

Oh okay, I see my mistake.
Closed means a set contains its limit points. So if that intersection is closed, then b is in A?
OK, so b is an element of A. Can you make a similar argument to conclude that b is an element of A'?
SMA_01
Nov27-12, 09:15 AM
Okay, b is an element of A because it is the intersection and A is closed. Why would it necessarily have to be in A'?
SMA_01
Nov27-12, 09:17 AM
Unless, A' is clopen too right? So A' will have to contain all of its limit points as well, and b is a boundary point for A'...? Am I thinking about this correctly?
micromass
Nov27-12, 10:59 AM
Mentor
Unless, A' is clopen too right? So A' will have to contain all of its limit points as well, and b is a boundary point for A'...? Am I thinking about this correctly?
Yes. Why is A' clopen too? (you just need that A' is closed by the way)
SMA_01
Nov27-12, 09:42 PM
A' is clopen because A is both opened and closed. Thanks for your help!

Register to reply