A problem in Real Analysis/Topology

• Thread starter mtayab1994
  • Start date
In summary: You're still assuming that ##a## is an element of ##A##. You can't assume that. You have to show that it's not. You are assuming that ##a## is an element of ##A## when you say that a is an element of the interval ##]a-\epsilon,a+\epsilon[## in the proof of 1. Can you prove that ##a## is not an element of that interval?
mtayab1994

Homework Statement

Let A be a non empty part of ℝ, such that A and A complement are two open subsets of ℝ.

Homework Equations

1- Prove that A is not bounded above.
2- Assuming that A complement is non-empty and let x in A complement.
and let B={xεA such that x≤t}. Prove that B is non empty and has a lower bound m such that m≥x.
3- Prove that: [tex]m\notin A[/tex] and [tex]m\notin A^{c}[/tex] . Conclude that A=ℝ.
4- Let F be non-empty set in ℝ such that F and F complementary are closed in R. What can we say about the set F?

The Attempt at a Solution

1- A is an open subset of R so we're going to use a proof by contradiction.

Suppose that a=sup(A) so for all x in A : x≤a . But since A is open then there exists an ε>0 such that: [tex]]a-\epsilon,a+\varepsilon[\cap A\neq\varnothing[/tex] so that means there is another number say a+ε/2 that's also in A so therefore A is unbounded above.

2- B is a subset of A so there for B is nonempty. Second part I know I have to conduct a proof by contradiction but I don't know how to start . Well I can suppose that B doesn't have a lower bound.

Any help will be appreciated. Thank you very much.

Physics news on Phys.org
mtayab1994 said:

Homework Statement

Let A be a non empty part of ℝ, such that A and A complement are two open subsets of ℝ.

Homework Equations

1- Prove that A is not bounded above.
2- Assuming that A complement is non-empty and let x in A complement.
and let B={xεA such that x≤t}. Prove that B is non empty and has a lower bound m such that m≥x.
3- Prove that: [tex]m\notin A[/tex] and [tex]m\notin A^{c}[/tex] . Conclude that A=ℝ.
4- Let F be non-empty set in ℝ such that F and F complementary are closed in R. What can we say about the set F?

The Attempt at a Solution

1- A is an open subset of R so we're going to use a proof by contradiction.

Suppose that a=sup(A) so for all x in A : x≤a . But since A is open then there exists an ε>0 such that: [tex]]a-\epsilon,a+\varepsilon[\cap A\neq\varnothing[/tex] so that means there is another number say a+ε/2 that's also in A so therefore A is unbounded above.

2- B is a subset of A so there for B is nonempty. Second part I know I have to conduct a proof by contradiction but I don't know how to start . Well I can suppose that B doesn't have a lower bound.

Any help will be appreciated. Thank you very much.

Part 1 isn't going well. Some of the parts are there but the reasoning is all muddled. The idea is to show that ##a=sup(A)## CANNOT be an element of ##A##. Suppose it was? Then there's a neighborhood of ##a## that is contained in ##A##. Can you see how that would create a problem with ##a## being ##sup(A)##?

Last edited:
Dick said:
Part 1 isn't going well. The idea is to show that ##a=sup(A)## CANNOT be an element of ##A##. Suppose it was? Then there's a neighborhood of ##a## that is contained in ##A##. Can you see how that would create a problem with ##a## being ##sup(A)##?

If there is a neighborhood of a that is contained in A then there is another element other than a that's also in A so therefore a cannot be Sup(A). Is that right?

This is only true because R is a connected set. At some point you are going to have to use the connectedness of R.

Or for number 1 can I do this:

Let N be any natural number and define V={a: lal>N} a neighborhood of a at infinity.
Thus, there exists some a in A such that A is in V.
Hence, there exists some a in A such that |x|>N.
Therefore, A is unbounded.

mtayab1994 said:
If there is a neighborhood of a that is contained in A then there is another element other than a that's also in A so therefore a cannot be Sup(A). Is that right?

There being another element besides ##a## in A does not contradict ##a## being a sup. How can it? If you could show there is an element ##b## in A such that a<b, that would contradict ##a## being a sup. Can you do that?

mtayab1994 said:
Or for number 1 can I do this:

Let N be any natural number and define V={a: lal>N} a neighborhood of a at infinity.
Thus, there exists some a in A such that A is in V.
Hence, there exists some a in A such that |x|>N.
Therefore, A is unbounded.

No, stick to the original approach. There's no such thing as "a neighborhood of a at infinity".

HallsofIvy said:
This is only true because R is a connected set. At some point you are going to have to use the connectedness of R.

That's a good point. But I think this is a proof of the connectedness of R. Can't really use that R is connected in the proof. I think the important property of R that's not being explicitly stated is that if A is bounded above then there is such a real number as sup(A).

Okay A is open and we supposed that a=sup(A) so there exist an ε>0 such that:

[tex]]a-\epsilon,a+\epsilon[\subset A[/tex] so:

[tex]\exists b\neq a\in]a-\epsilon,a+\epsilon[\subset A[/tex]

Therefor b is in the neighborhood of a and in the subset A. So for b=a+ε/2 we still have b in the neighborhood of a and in A so there for a is not the supremum of A and finally A is unbounded above.

mtayab1994 said:
Okay A is open and we supposed that a=sup(A) so there exist an ε>0 such that:

[tex]]a-\epsilon,a+\epsilon[\subset A[/tex] so:

There is such an ε because we ASSUME that ##a=sup(A)## is an element of A when A is bounded above. That's an assumption. We may have to reconsider it.

[tex]\exists b\neq a\in]a-\epsilon,a+\epsilon[\subset A[/tex]

Therefor b is in the neighborhood of a and in the subset A. So for b=a+ε/2 we still have b in the neighborhood of a and in A so there for a is not the supremum of A and finally A is unbounded above.

Yes, a<b=a+ε/2 is in the neighborhood saying ##a## is not the supremum. That's a contradiction, because we defined ##a=sup(A)##. When you reach a contradiction you have to go back and look at the last thing you assumed. That must be wrong. What is it?

Dick said:
There is such an ε because we ASSUME that ##a=sup(A)## is an element of A when A is bounded above. That's an assumption. We may have to reconsider it.

Yes, a<b=a+ε/2 is in the neighborhood saying ##a## is not the supremum. That's a contradiction, because we defined ##a=sup(A)##. When you reach a contradiction you have to go back and look at the last thing you assumed. That must be wrong. What is it?

Since we found a b>a in the neighborhood of a, and since we had assumed that a=Sup(A) we have reached a contradiction with a=Sup(A).

mtayab1994 said:
Since we found a b>a in the neighborhood of a, and since we had assumed that a=Sup(A) we have reached a contradiction with a=Sup(A).

You are finding the wrong contradiction at this point in the proof. I'll give you an example, take the open interval A=(0,1). a=sup(A)=1. So far, there's no contradiction. What assumption really created the contradiction. Look back. It's an assumption you keep failing to mention.

mtayab1994 said:

You've shown that if [itex]\sup A \in A[/itex] then [itex]A[/itex] cannot be open. But you're given that [itex]A[/itex] is open.

So either [itex]\sup A \in A^c[/itex] or [itex]A[/itex] is not bounded above, which is what you are asked to prove.

So how do you exclude the possibility that [itex]\sup A \in A^c[/itex], given that [itex]A^c[/itex] is open?

Dick said:
You are finding the wrong contradiction at this point in the proof. I'll give you an example, take the open interval A=(0,1). a=sup(A)=1. So far, there's no contradiction. What assumption really created the contradiction. Look back. It's an assumption you keep failing to mention.

We assumed that a is in A so our contradiction is with a in A right?

mtayab1994 said:
We assumed that a is in A so our contradiction is with a in A right?

Yes, your conclusion is that ##a## is not in ##A##. Therefore ##a## must be in A complement, which is also open by assumption. Now what?

Dick said:
Yes, your conclusion is that ##a## is not in ##A##. Therefore ##a## must be in A complement, which is also open by assumption. Now what?

If a is not in A then if it's in A complement, that means that a is a limit point of A right?

mtayab1994 said:
If a is not in A then if it's in A complement, that means that a is a limit point of A right?

I'll agree with that if you can give me reason.

a is a limit point of A because:

[tex]\exists b\neq a\in]a-\epsilon,a+\epsilon[\cap A[/tex] by the definition of a limit point. b is what found before to be greater than a.

mtayab1994 said:
a is a limit point of A because:

[tex]\exists b\neq a\in]a-\epsilon,a+\epsilon[\cap A[/tex] by the definition of a limit point. b is what found before to be greater than a.

That doesn't make any sense to me as a reason. ##a## is a limit point of ##A## just because ##a=sup(A)##. How would being the sup imply that it's a limit point?

pasmith said:
You've shown that if [itex]\sup A \in A[/itex] then [itex]A[/itex] cannot be open. But you're given that [itex]A[/itex] is open.

So either [itex]\sup A \in A^c[/itex] or [itex]A[/itex] is not bounded above, which is what you are asked to prove.

So how do you exclude the possibility that [itex]\sup A \in A^c[/itex], given that [itex]A^c[/itex] is open?

A complement is open and we know that if a is not in A then it's in the adherent of A which is always a closed set because it contains all of the limit points of A?

mtayab1994 said:
A complement is open and we know that if a is not in A then it's in the adherent of A which is always a closed set because it contains all of the limit points of A?

And why must it be that if ##a## is not in ##A## implies that ##a## must be in the closure of A (I think 'closure' is a common term for that than 'adherent')?

Dick said:
And why must it be that if ##a## is not in ##A## implies that ##a## must be in the closure of A (I think 'closure' is a common term for that than 'adherent')?

Because we said that a is a limit point of A.

mtayab1994 said:
Because we said that a is a limit point of A.

Saying it doesn't prove it. There is a simple argument just based on the definition of 'limit point' and 'sup'.

For the second question can I prove that B is nonempty by saying that B is a subset of A?

No. ##\emptyset \subset A## but ##\emptyset## is certainly not non-empty.

vela said:
No. ##\emptyset \subset A## but ##\emptyset## is certainly not non-empty.

I can say that if B were empty than A will be bounded above and that's a contradiction because in the first question we've proved that A is not bounded above so we can conclude that B is nonempty.

If B is empty, that means A contains no elements less than or equal to ##t##. Why does that imply A is bounded from above?

How exactly is ##t## chosen? It seems to me you can't say much about B without knowing this.

vela said:
If B is empty, that means A contains no elements less than or equal to ##t##. Why does that imply A is bounded from above?

How exactly is ##t## chosen? It seems to me you can't say much about B without knowing this.

I'm sorry I made a mistake in the original thread post the set B is : B={tεA : x≤t}

For the second question knowing that B is nonempty and bounded below by x inf(B) exists in B. So now to prove that m=Inf(B). So we suppose that there exists another lower bound m' and we have to prove that m>m'.
Using a proof by contradiction I supposed that m'>m and I let ε=m'-m>0 .

So by definition if the infimum: There exists a t in B such that t<m+ε=m+m'-m=m'. And we reached a contradiction with m' being a lower bound of B so therefore m=inf(B).

Why are you saying ##m## is inf(B)? The problem statement only says to show that ##m## bounds B from below and is greater than or equal to ##x##. It's not necessarily the greatest lower bound.

vela said:
Why are you saying ##m## is inf(B)? The problem statement only says to show that ##m## bounds B from below and is greater than or equal to ##x##. It's not necessarily the greatest lower bound.

Wow I'm really sorry that's another typo the problem statement says to show that B has a and inferior bound not just a lower bound. Hence why I proceeded like that. Is my reasoning correct?

What is Real Analysis?

Real Analysis is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of real numbers and their properties. It involves the analysis of functions, sequences, and series of real numbers, as well as the properties of continuous and differentiable functions.

What is Topology?

Topology is a branch of mathematics that studies the properties of geometric objects that are preserved under continuous deformations, such as stretching, twisting, and bending. It is concerned with the study of spaces and their properties, such as connectedness, compactness, and continuity.

What are some common problems in Real Analysis/Topology?

Some common problems in Real Analysis/Topology include proving the continuity or differentiability of a function, showing that a set is open or closed, and determining the convergence or divergence of a sequence or series.

What are some real-world applications of Real Analysis/Topology?

Real Analysis and Topology have many practical applications in fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and computer science. For example, the study of continuity and differentiability is essential in understanding the behavior of physical systems, and topology is used in data analysis and machine learning algorithms.

What are some useful tools for solving problems in Real Analysis/Topology?

Some useful tools for solving problems in Real Analysis/Topology include theorems such as the Intermediate Value Theorem, the Mean Value Theorem, and the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus. Other tools include techniques such as epsilon-delta proofs, induction, and the use of metric spaces and topological properties.