Register to reply

Any difference on Satellite location between W135 and W075?

by junk0
Tags: difference, location, satellite, w075, w135
Share this thread:
junk0
Nov27-12, 08:19 PM
P: 40
Referring to following link, it provides satellite location on W135, I would like to know what difference on Satellite location between W135 and W075, how does its measurement affect the Earth differently.

Does anyone have any suggestions?
Thanks in advance for any suggestions

http://www.swpc.noaa.gov/ftpdir/lists/xray/Gp_xr_5m.txt
Phys.Org News Partner Astronomy news on Phys.org
The Great Debate over whether the universe is small or large
Smallest known galaxy with a supermassive black hole found
Mystery of rare five-hour space explosion explained
justsomeguy
Nov27-12, 09:16 PM
P: 166
What sort of difference would you expect? That list of datapoints is measuring solar x-ray intensity, position above the earth is not going to matter. The GOES satellites are all in geostationary orbit, so with instruments looking at earth, the difference is going to be what's below them.
junk0
Nov28-12, 12:40 AM
Quote Quote by justsomeguy View Post
What sort of difference would you expect? That list of datapoints is measuring solar x-ray intensity, position above the earth is not going to matter. The GOES satellites are all in geostationary orbit, so with instruments looking at earth, the difference is going to be what's below them.
What W135 represents in location?
Do you have any suggestions on what location is difference between W135 and W075?

Thanks you very much for any suggestions

justsomeguy
Nov28-12, 12:57 AM
Any difference on Satellite location between W135 and W075?

Lines of Longitude. W135 is over the earth in geostationary orbit at 135deg west, over the pacific about halfway between mexico and hawaii. W075 is at 75deg west, roughly over NYC.

edit: that's how far west.. the satellites are directly over the equator.
junk0
Nov28-12, 08:08 AM
Quote Quote by justsomeguy View Post
Lines of Longitude. W135 is over the earth in geostationary orbit at 135deg west, over the pacific about halfway between mexico and hawaii. W075 is at 75deg west, roughly over NYC.

edit: that's how far west.. the satellites are directly over the equator.
Does it mean that?

If there are many Protons charges at W135, but there is no Protons charges at W075, does it mean that the plasma is flowing over the region between mexico and hawaii, and will never flow over NYC, since earth is moving from west to east direction.

On the other hands,
If there are many Protons charges at W075, but there is no Protons charges at W135, does it mean that the plasma is flowing over the region between NYC, and will flow over the region between mexico and hawaii next, since earth is moving from west to east direction.

Am I on the right track?

Thanks everyone very much for any suggestions
justsomeguy
Nov28-12, 09:55 AM
The particle detector is seeing things trapped in the magnetic field I think.

The file you linked to is the x-ray detector (not the particle detector), and so (obviously) there is no "flow" since it's just radiation. Differences in the particle detector probably come from the shape of earths magnetic field at different times of day due to the solar wind. If that's the case then yes, if you saw high values at 075 I would expect the values to rise at 135 later in the day.. but again, I'm no GOES sensor expert.
D H
Nov28-12, 12:16 PM
Mentor
P: 15,205
Quote Quote by junk0 View Post
Does it mean that?
It means just that. The "G" in GOES stands for geostationary.

Am I on the right track?
No.

The primary purpose of the GOES satellites is to take pictures of the Earth in a number of frequencies. Having the satellites in geostationary orbits means that each is always looking at the same portion the Earth. This is extremely useful for looking down at the Earth. It's not so useful for looking up into space. There are only a few upward-looking instruments on the GOES satellites, and these aren't imagery sensors.

The space weather sensors are amongst these non-imagery, non-earth viewing sensors. Some aren't on all of the GOES satellites. The X ray flux you referenced in the opening post is one of those. Others are replicated, but only one satellite is used as the primary source. The data from the secondary is not used for analysis. It's only there for backup, in case the primary fails.
junk0
Nov28-12, 07:47 PM
Thanks everyone very much for suggestions

Register to reply