Register to reply

Black holes and General Relativity

by Snaar
Tags: black, holes, relativity
Share this thread:
Snaar
Nov26-12, 12:32 PM
P: 2
Hello everybody, I was watching a documentary about black holes the other day and I noticed something odd.

General Relativity is said to break down when you apply the mathematics on a singularity. In this case, the center of the black hole. The radius of a singularity would be 0. Now there was my problem. I was learned that the smallest possible length, is Planck's length (1.616199 10-35) meters. I guess that the radius of a singularity would have to be the shortest possible length.

What is your opinion on this? And where did I (probably) make my mistake in my 'logic'?

Thanks in advance!
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Law changed to allow 'unlocking' cellphones
Microsoft sues Samsung alleging contract breach
Best evidence yet for coronal heating theory detected by NASA sounding rocket
PeterDonis
Nov26-12, 02:48 PM
Physics
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 6,081
Quote Quote by Snaar View Post
I was learned that the smallest possible length, is Planck's length (1.616199 10-35) meters. I guess that the radius of a singularity would have to be the shortest possible length.
The concept of a shortest possible length comes from quantum gravity; in classical General Relativity, there is no such thing. That's why the standard classical GR theory of black holes has a singularity at r = 0.

However, it is true that the presence of the singularity at r = 0 in the classical theory is one thing that indicates, to many physicists, that the classical GR theory breaks down at this point; and the best current guess we have right now as to the point at which it breaks down is at a length scale on the order of the Planck length. That doesn't mean that the radius of the singularity is the Planck length instead of zero; it means that, when we have discovered the right theory of quantum gravity, we expect that there will no longer be a singularity at all; instead some new physics will come into play at length scales on the order of the Planck length.

We don't have a good theory of quantum gravity yet, so all this is really speculation (educated speculation, but still speculation) until we do.
Snaar
Nov28-12, 01:31 PM
P: 2
Alright, I get what you mean. I'm going to search some quantum gravity theories, I don't really get the concept of that.

Thanks for answering!

Register to reply