Power Electronics Modules and Vendors - Help Needed

by toxic_faisal
Tags: electronics, experiments, modules, power, vendors
Share this thread:
toxic_faisal
Nov24-12, 08:51 AM
P: 6
Dear all,

I have an urgent task of finding the right experimental modules for Power Electronics Course in my university, for undergrad. level.

Could you please provide me with a list of good and reliable vendors who can provide me with modules that can enable the students to perform experiments relating to Converters (buck,boost), Inverters, Rectifiers, etc.

Your kind help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Faisal
Phys.Org News Partner Engineering news on Phys.org
Greater safety and security at Europe's train stations
Fingerprints for freight items
On the way to a safe and secure smart home
Windadct
Nov24-12, 09:45 AM
P: 564
Hello Toxic:

If you want modules - IMO the best marketplace is www.sindopower.com. In full disclosure I work for the parent company - but that is the only site I know of dedicated to PE suppliers. Another good site is www.powerguru.com - not a marketplace and not independent, but Bodo's Power is independent and they take part, and you see articles in there from competitors - etc. Lastly - it has a good global Jobs database - always interesting.

If you need top "build" a system from scratch they have the parts ( Modules, Drivers, Heatsinks, current sensors, caps and fuse blocks etc)- if you are working on the controls look up the "SEMITEACH" - it is a plexi enclosed stack for education. If you run into a situation needing 1 pc and there is a minimum buy quantity - send them and e-mail with your University details - class etc - they will help you out.

Lastly - the Semisel simulator for device selection is also the best I have seen. ( from an educational standpoint - nothing beats a Theory, planning,Simulation that you can then verify once built - it is all about the losses and heat)

Let me know the power levels and circuit details I would be happy to help with basic design and device selection.

If you need to go really cheap - you can ebay for the following Powerex, Infineon, Semikron.
toxic_faisal
Nov26-12, 10:26 AM
P: 6
Hey Windadct,

Your response was so kind and helpful. I have gone through most of the links you provided me.

If I could be clearer now, I am looking for a specific vendor, who could provided me with a module or multiple modules to carry out all the relevant experiments (involving rectifier, inverters, and different types of converters). From the above links, I could fix bits of my problem, but I am looking for one such vendor that provides modules for all of the mentioned experiments.

Note: The experiments are not very advanced, just basic power electronics course lab work.

Hope to hear from you soon.

Thanks,
Faisal Khan

Windadct
Nov28-12, 02:16 PM
P: 564
Power Electronics Modules and Vendors - Help Needed

Hello Again Faisal:

Unfortunately there could be thousands of experiments. If you could be more specific I can be more helpful.
Three different types of common rectifiers, and there there active rectifiers, is your source 3 phase or 1? ( If you are going to use thyristors yo will also need a trigger or firing card)
Inverters :- What voltage, frequencies ( fsw and Fout), power levels, # of phases etc.
These are all technically converters - but I am assuming you mean Buck, Boost and possible brake choppers - again many of the same apply.
Both MOSFET and IGBTs need drivers - drivers are selected based on the sige and operating conditions of the MOSFET or IGBT.

There literally thousands of possible combinations. Since these are not cheap components - I would really not want to have you buying items you do not need or are oversized, non-compatible - etc.

The Semiteach is built for standard university classes - is there a reason it is not suitable? On the smaller side look up SK 20 DGDL 065 ET - this single module is 20Anom IGBT inverter, brake and 3 phase uncontrolled rectifier, as it is IGBT switching losses account for a lot if its heat- so expect ~10A output - you still need a driver for the IGBTs - SKHI 71 - is a 7 channel driver - integrating these would require the development of a PCB.

Register to reply