Protection on Step up and Step Down Converter Module Bucks

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of buck converters to convert 5 volts DC to 6 volts and 4.5 volts to power various components such as LED lights and light bulbs. The main question is whether or not rectifying diodes are needed to protect these devices from back EMFs produced by the buck converters. Some suggest wiring the diodes in between the bucks and the LEDs, while others recommend wiring them across the loads. However, it is stated that the output of a buck converter already has a capacitor that isolates the load from the internal inductor, and therefore additional protection may not be necessary.
shushi_boi
In a circuit that I'm building, I have a power source of 5 volts DC that powers various components. A few of them are LED lights and light bulbs. -Background Info-

In circuit 1, I have a step up buck
"2A DC-DC boost step-up Conversion module MicroUSB 2-24V 3V to 5v-28V 12v 9v 24v"
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2A-DC-DC-boost-step-up-Conversion-module-MicroUSB-2-24V-3V-to-5v-28V-12v-9v-24v-/181870278933?hash=item2a58503915:g:V1kAAOSwuTxV9zpo

that converts 5 volts to 6 volts to power two light bulbs wired in parellel to each other that are rated at 6.3 Volts
"Eiko 46 T3-1/4 Miniature Screw Base Halogen Bulb, 6.3V/0.25 Amp"
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002CYZFNE/?tag=pfamazon01-20

and under that same buck of 6 volts, I have another circuit (circuit 2) wired in parrallel to circuit 1, that has 3 LED lights wired in parallel to each other that runs on 6 Volts together (originally they ran on x2 3 Volt 2032 batteries that were wired in series to each other which totalled 6 Volts)

Circuit 3 on the other hand has a step down buck
"2x 2A DC DC Step Down Converter Module 4.75-6V to 0.8-4.5V Adjustable Buck Vol"
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2x-2A-DC-DC-Step-Down-Converter-Module-4-75-6V-to-0-8-4-5V-Adjustable-Buck-Vol-/281725386247?hash=item4198243e07:g:m~MAAOSwTdJXRZmy

that converts 5 volts to 4.5 volts which powers three led lights wired in parallel to each other (they originally ran on x3 1.5 v AAA batteries wired in series to each other which totals 4.5 volts).-The main question-

So my question is, because I'm using bucks to convert my voltage for these led and light bulbs circuit, do I need to protect those devices with rectifying diodes? From what I understand about bucks, they are similar to relays, in that they produce back EMFs, and when a relay switches off the magnetic field collapses and can produce a back emf of 50V or more which can kill devices.

In these circuits do I need to protect these leds and light bulbs with rectifying diodes? If so, what ratings would you recommend and how should I wire them to the leds/light bulbs?

Some suggest wiring them in between the bucks and leds,
whereas others seem to suggest to wire the diodes across the loads/leds, like this

trswinpn.gif

Here's a picture of my circuit if it helps (on the right side, I apologize for my bad drawings!)

attachment.php?attachmentid=7748&d=1469584279.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
The output of a buck converter has a capacitor that isolates the load from the internal inductor. The capacitor is sized so that ripple will be small when supplied through the inductor. The output spike could not be bigger than that ripple.

You should not need additional protection.

1. What is a step up and step down converter module buck?

A step up and step down converter module buck is a type of electrical circuit that is used to convert a higher voltage to a lower voltage (step down), or a lower voltage to a higher voltage (step up).

2. What are the benefits of using a step up and step down converter module buck?

Using a step up and step down converter module buck allows for efficient voltage conversion, as well as protection for electrical devices from voltage fluctuations. It also reduces the need for multiple power sources with different voltages.

3. How does a step up and step down converter module buck protect electrical devices?

A step up and step down converter module buck has built-in protection features such as overvoltage protection, undervoltage protection, and overcurrent protection. These help to prevent damage to electrical devices by regulating the voltage and current levels.

4. Can a step up and step down converter module buck be used with any type of electrical device?

Yes, a step up and step down converter module buck can be used with a variety of electrical devices, including but not limited to, computers, smartphones, appliances, and electronic toys.

5. Are there any safety precautions to consider when using a step up and step down converter module buck?

It is important to follow the manufacturer's instructions when using a step up and step down converter module buck. It is also recommended to use surge protectors and to avoid overloading the converter with too many devices to ensure safety.