Register to reply

Color-glass condensate popular-science level description please?

Share this thread:
Schneibster
Nov27-12, 06:39 PM
P: 81
I have a general understanding of high energy particle physics and the standard model.

Can someone explain the color-glass condensate results in the recent p-Pb collision results at the LHC for me, and most especially why "glass" is appropriate? I understand the Wikipedia article http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Color_glass_condensate fairly well, but want a bit more depth, particularly in why one can generalize the oncoming relativistic nucleus as a "wall of gluons," and why this is not expected in the case of a single proton.
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
'Squid skin' metamaterials project yields vivid color display
Team finds elusive quantum transformations near absolute zero
Scientists control surface tension to manipulate liquid metals (w/ Video)
jimgraber
Nov28-12, 02:02 AM
PF Gold
P: 173
Yes, please also describe the difference between a quark gluon plasma and a color glass condensate. Despite reading both wikipedia entries, I don't get it.
Bill_K
Nov28-12, 07:55 AM
Sci Advisor
Thanks
P: 4,160
"Some think that, before nuclei colliding at high energy can make quark-gluon plasma, they become densely compressed — a color glass condensate — in the direction they are being accelerated. Upon impact, color glass condensate is thought to “shatter,” thus forming the plasma."

Bill_K
Nov28-12, 09:50 AM
Sci Advisor
Thanks
P: 4,160
Color-glass condensate popular-science level description please?

It's not exactly popular-science level, but I think this article is the most qualitative, equation-free description of color glass around.
Schneibster
Nov28-12, 05:33 PM
Thank you. I will comment soon, today is busy with turkey soup. :D
Schneibster
Nov28-12, 10:56 PM
Oh, it's a color spin glass condensate.

Gotcha.

Register to reply