Equations for relative velocity

In summary, when calculating relative velocity, if object A is moving away from object B at velocity u and B is moving in the same direction at velocity v, the speed of A relative to B is given by (u-v)/(1+uv/c^2). If they are moving in opposite directions, replace v with -v. If they are not moving along the same line, calculate their parallel components and apply the formula. However, there is some confusion regarding the correct equation as some sources suggest replacing v with -v and others suggest replacing v with +v. It is recommended to consult a reliable source for the accurate equation.
UglyNakedGuy
hello everyone,

Can someone kindly show me the equation for relative velocity calculations?

when i search for them via wikipedia, there is only one formula for collinear objects and they move to the same direction...

so what if they move opposite to each?

and what if their motions follow a curvature ...:confused:

please help :P

Physics news on Phys.org
The equation you mention for "relative velocity" is: if object A is moving away from me at velocity u and object B is moving along the same line and in the same direction at speed v (both relative to me) then the speed of object A relative to B is given by
[tex]\frac{u- v}{1+ \frac{uv}{c^2}}[/tex]

If they are moving in opposite directions, replace "-v" with "+v".

If they are not moving along the same line, draw a line between them and calculate their components of velocity parallel and perpendicular to that line. Apply the formula above to the parallel components only.

HallsofIvy said:

And replace "+v" with "-v". More concisely, reverse the sign of v everywhere in the equation.

HallsofIvy said:
The equation you mention for "relative velocity" is: if object A is moving away from me at velocity u and object B is moving along the same line and in the same direction at speed v (both relative to me) then the speed of object A relative to B is given by
[tex]\frac{u- v}{1+ \frac{uv}{c^2}}[/tex]

If they are not moving along the same line, draw a line between them and calculate their components of velocity parallel and perpendicular to that line. Apply the formula above to the parallel components only.

thank you for your reply!

unfortunately, when I search on website, I was told the equation as:

[tex]\frac{u- v}{1- \frac{uv}{c^2}}[/tex]

and it says if they go opposite directions, I need to replace the sign...if you think I am paranoid :) , please check here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Relative_velocity

to be honestly, I am not a guy with physics background, i just like it... so this is confusing for me... could you please help?

once again, thank you!

1. What is relative velocity?

Relative velocity is the velocity of an object in relation to another object. It takes into account the motion of both objects and is dependent on the observer's frame of reference.

2. How do you calculate relative velocity?

The equation for relative velocity is vAB = vA - vB, where vAB is the relative velocity of object A with respect to object B, vA is the velocity of object A, and vB is the velocity of object B.

3. What is the difference between relative velocity and absolute velocity?

Relative velocity takes into account the motion of two objects in relation to each other, while absolute velocity is the velocity of an object with respect to a fixed point or frame of reference.

4. Can relative velocity be negative?

Yes, relative velocity can be negative if the two objects are moving in opposite directions or if one object is moving faster than the other in the same direction.

5. What are some real-world applications of relative velocity?

Relative velocity is used in various fields such as physics, engineering, and navigation. It is used to calculate the speed and direction of moving objects, predict collisions, and determine the trajectory of projectiles. It is also crucial in understanding the motion of objects in space and is used in the design of spacecraft and satellites.