Equations for relative velocity

by UglyNakedGuy
Tags: equations, relative, velocity
Share this thread:
UglyNakedGuy
Nov28-12, 04:02 AM
P: 11
hello everyone,

Can someone kindly show me the equation for relative velocity calculations?

when i search for them via wikipedia, there is only one formula for collinear objects and they move to the same direction...

so what if they move opposite to each?

and what if their motions follow a curvature ...

plz help :P
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Security CTO to detail Android Fake ID flaw at Black Hat
Huge waves measured for first time in Arctic Ocean
Mysterious molecules in space
pervect
Nov28-12, 04:28 AM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
P: 7,599
Try the sci.physics.faq http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/physic.../velocity.html
It's got a section on "non parallel velocities".
HallsofIvy
Nov28-12, 07:14 AM
Math
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
Thanks
PF Gold
P: 39,346
The equation you mention for "relative velocity" is: if object A is moving away from me at velocity u and object B is moving along the same line and in the same direction at speed v (both relative to me) then the speed of object A relative to B is given by
[tex]\frac{u- v}{1+ \frac{uv}{c^2}}[/tex]

If they are moving in opposite directions, replace "-v" with "+v".

If they are not moving along the same line, draw a line between them and calculate their components of velocity parallel and perpendicular to that line. Apply the formula above to the parallel components only.

jtbell
Nov28-12, 08:09 AM
Mentor
P: 11,624
Equations for relative velocity

Quote Quote by HallsofIvy View Post
And replace "+v" with "-v". More concisely, reverse the sign of v everywhere in the equation.
UglyNakedGuy
Nov28-12, 06:42 PM
P: 11
Quote Quote by HallsofIvy View Post
The equation you mention for "relative velocity" is: if object A is moving away from me at velocity u and object B is moving along the same line and in the same direction at speed v (both relative to me) then the speed of object A relative to B is given by
[tex]\frac{u- v}{1+ \frac{uv}{c^2}}[/tex]

If they are not moving along the same line, draw a line between them and calculate their components of velocity parallel and perpendicular to that line. Apply the formula above to the parallel components only.
thank you for your reply!

unfortunately, when I search on website, I was told the equation as:

[tex]\frac{u- v}{1- \frac{uv}{c^2}}[/tex]

and it says if they go opposite directions, I need to replace the sign...if you think im paranoid :) , plz check here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Relative_velocity

to be honestly, im not a guy with physics background, i just like it.... so this is confusing for me... could you plz help?

once again, thank you!

Register to reply