Outer product on operators?

by dipole
Tags: operators, outer, product
dipole
Nov28-12, 10:46 PM
P: 418
In my QM textbook, there's an equation written as:

[itex] \vec{J} = \vec{L}\otimes\vec{1} + \vec{S}\otimes\vec{1} [/itex]

referring to angular momentum operators (where [itex]\vec{1} [/itex] is the identity operator). I don't really understand what the outer product (which I'm assuming is what the symbol [itex]\otimes[/itex] means here) means when dealing with operators (which can be represented as matrices).

What happens when you outerproduct one operator with another? Unfortunately there is no explanation in the text, I guess it's assumed this is obvious or that the reader knows about this kind of math. :\
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Physicists design quantum switches which can be activated by single photons
'Dressed' laser aimed at clouds may be key to inducing rain, lightning
Higher-order nonlinear optical processes observed using the SACLA X-ray free-electron laser
Fightfish
Nov29-12, 01:40 AM
P: 595
[tex]\otimes[/tex] is not outer product. It is a tensor product.
Could you provide the context?
I am guessing that this means that you act the angular momentum operator only on the first particle but leave the second particle untouched.
cosmic dust
Nov29-12, 04:22 AM
P: 123
First of all, I think that the formula should be J = L[itex]\otimes[/itex]1 + 1[itex]\otimes[/itex]S . About it's meaning, when you have two operators (say A and B) which operate on two, in general different, Hilbert spaces (say HA and HB), then you can create a new Hilbert space by the direct product of the two of them, H = HA[itex]\otimes[/itex]HB (the vectors of that new space are defined in this way:say ΨΑ[itex]\in[/itex]HA and ΨΒ[itex]\in[/itex]HΒ, then the vectors Ψ=ΨA[itex]\otimes[/itex]ΨB for all ΨA and ΨB are the vectors of H. ΨA[itex]\otimes[/itex]ΨB is a new item that has two independent parts, ΨA and ΨB , pretty much like when you have two reals a and b, you can create a new item (a,b) which represents a point in a plane) . The operators on this new Hilbert space are then created by the direct product of the operators that operate in the two initial spaces, i.e. O = A[itex]\otimes[/itex]B , where this new operator is defined by:
O Ψ [itex]\equiv[/itex](A[itex]\otimes[/itex]B) (ΨA[itex]\otimes[/itex]ΨB) = (AΨA)[itex]\otimes([/itex]BΨB).
When the operators are represented by matrices, then the matrix A[itex]\otimes[/itex]B is defined as:
[A[itex]\otimes[/itex]B]aa',bb' = Aaa'Bbb'

Register to reply