Is the definition of space relative ?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of space and its relation to our universe. It questions what we are expanding into and how multiple universes may exist. It also explores the idea of a megaverse and the limitations of our understanding of space and time. The conversation highlights the importance of looking at the universe in terms of equations rather than traditional concepts.
genphis
I have just finished reading stuart clark's book 'The Universe' and i find myself pondering the question of space its possible infinite size,shape, and its relation to our universe.
a) if space did not exist before our universe's expansion. What are we expanding into and what are we pushing back to make room for our universe?
b) it seems to me inevitable that there are a multitude of universes which are separated from ours via vast incomprehensible distances.
c) And do these universes and ours reside in a megaverse?

d) i am troubled that we accept that we are falling through space.but is the space we fall through the same space our universe exist in ?

sorry to ramble

Physics news on Phys.org
What are we expanding into and what are we pushing back to make room for our universe?
Nothing. We don't need to "make room", and there is no "outside" to push back / expand into.

it seems to me inevitable that there are a multitude of universes which are separated from ours via vast incomprehensible distances.
This cannot work with the usual definitions of "universe" - there is no distance without space, and there is no space without universe.

And do these universes and ours reside in a megaverse?
Pure speculation and/or depends on the definition.

i am troubled that we accept that we are falling through space
What do you mean with "falling through space"? I am standing on earth.
but is the space we fall through the same space our universe exist in ?
Our universe does not exist in some space, our universe IS space (plus objects in that space).

thanks for reply, it was my understanding that the Earth was hurtling in orbit approximately 66,000 mph around the sun, which in turn is orbiting with among many celestial objects the centre of our galaxy possibly a super massive black hole, in addition to this our galaxy is also in an orbiting spiral. i meant falling in a universal sense not localised to my position on the earth. if we use our own experience of space and time as a measure we will not learn much about the universe. we fall around the curvatures in space created by matter warping the fabric of space-time.
if something expands, there must be room for the expansion,if not pressure will build and hey presto big bang

genphis said:
if something expands, there must be room for the expansion,if not pressure will build and hey presto big bang

Intuition is holding you back, you have to understand it terms of solutions to equations and not in everyday concepts like 3 dimensions. They don't really apply here.

EDIT: in fact, you said it yourself:
if we use our own experience of space and time as a measure we will not learn much about the universe

point taken d3mm thanks... i struggle with the fact that if we were in a box we would be free to move around within that space. but if our box was in another box, our box would be the only space we experience. yet that experience would limit our ability to understand the processes really at work in the scheme of things...

1. What is the definition of space?

The definition of space can differ depending on the context in which it is being used. In general, space can be defined as the three-dimensional extent in which objects and events occur and have relative position and direction.

2. Is the definition of space relative?

Yes, the definition of space can be considered relative in the context of physics and relativity. According to the theory of relativity, space and time are intertwined and can be perceived differently by different observers.

3. How is the concept of space related to the theory of relativity?

The theory of relativity proposes that space and time are not absolute, but rather are relative to the observer's frame of reference. This means that the measurements of space and time can vary depending on the observer's relative motion and gravitational field.

4. Can space be perceived differently by different individuals?

Yes, the perception of space can vary between individuals due to factors such as their frame of reference, sensory abilities, and cognitive processes. This is why the concept of space is considered relative in the context of psychology and perception.

5. How does the concept of space impact our understanding of the universe?

The concept of space plays a crucial role in our understanding of the universe. It allows us to measure and describe the position and movement of celestial objects, and it also helps us to understand the fundamental laws of physics that govern the behavior of matter and energy in the universe.