Register to reply

Looking for a common solution of two systems

by onako
Tags: common, solution, systems
Share this thread:
onako
Nov29-12, 11:31 AM
P: 87
Given two systems, Ax=b and Cy=d, for nxn matrices A and C, and n-dimensional vectors b and d, each of which has at least one solution, it is know that one solution is common to both (satisfies both equations). Could such solution be z found by solving Az+Cz=b+d? I understand that a common solution would satisfy the third system, but I wonder if the third system has more solutions, and we obtain one that is not common for the first and the second system.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
'Smart material' chin strap harvests energy from chewing
King Richard III died painfully on battlefield
Capturing ancient Maya sites from both a rat's and a 'bat's eye view'
Erland
Dec1-12, 12:21 PM
P: 353
Quote Quote by onako View Post
Given two systems, Ax=b and Cy=d, for nxn matrices A and C, and n-dimensional vectors b and d, each of which has at least one solution, it is know that one solution is common to both (satisfies both equations). Could such solution be z found by solving Az+Cz=b+d? I understand that a common solution would satisfy the third system, but I wonder if the third system has more solutions, and we obtain one that is not common for the first and the second system.
It certainly can!

As an extreme example, let C=-A and d=-b, and assume that A is invertible. Then Ax=b has a unique solution, call it x0. This x0 is also a unique solution to By=d, so the systems have a unique common solution.

But A+C is a zero matrix, and b+d is a zero vector, so all vectors z in Rn are solutions to (A+C)z=b+d.

Register to reply