Register to reply

Strange spider webs all over a field

by Khantazm
Tags: field, spider, strange, webs
Share this thread:
Khantazm
Nov29-12, 07:48 AM
P: 27
It was this summer, in the morning, I was going down the hill to a river, through a sort of meadow, and noticed that everywhere I looked grass was covered with spider webs. I think it was mostly dry-ish tall grass with a... structure capable of supporting a web (don't know what it's called, but it's like thin branches of a tree with the foliage at the top), and I looked and didn't find any spiders. It was surreal because they'd appeared overnight, and were pretty much gone in the afternoon. I'd really love to have some kind of explanation. I mean, I don't think there could be so many spiders if one spider wove one web, and I can't see any point for a few spiders to make so many webs.
Phys.Org News Partner Biology news on Phys.org
Largest genetic survey to date shows major success of giant panda breeding programs
New model helps explain how provisions promote or reduce wildlife disease
Stress can make hard-working mongooses less likely to help in the future
jim mcnamara
Nov29-12, 03:28 PM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 1,379
Where are you located? What season is it?

There are colonial spider species, they usually cover small trees and shrubs; they are tropical. There are also lepidopterans (butterflies & moths) that have larvae that kind of all-at-once will cover an area with spider web like "houses". Tent caterpillars in North America will sometimes do this.

Try looking for tiny worm-like beasties in the webs. They don't bite. :)

Pictures might help.
Khantazm
Nov30-12, 03:10 AM
P: 27
Yeah, about that... As I say, it happened this summer. More specifically, in temperate climate of Central Russia. I can't go check it out, and happily there appear to be other explanations than crazy spiders. The webs looked very convincingly spider-y to my untrained eye. I remember stopping to study one (or more) and not noticing any worms, but I can't vouch for being thorough enough, especially if they are very small.

Register to reply