Waking up early

by failexam
Tags: early, waking
Share this thread:
phyzguy
Nov28-12, 06:13 AM
P: 2,179
Quote Quote by failexam View Post
Actually, I just do a couple of private tutoring jobs in the evening, and thatís about it. I live in my parentís house, because I mean, where else would I be living? I canít support myself with a couple of part-time tutoring jobs.

Night-time is when I happen to work best, but they feel that you can only be productive in the morning and that waking up in the morning is supposed to be a life-long habit, that if I donít make this my habit, I will eventually only be able to fall asleep late at night and it wonít do well for my working life at that point in my life, which is exactly the issue that Mentalist brought up.
So probably your parents have to get up early and go to work, or, if they are retired, they had to get up early when they were your age. Can you blame them if they resent you sleeping all day while they have to work to support you?
gmax137
Nov28-12, 06:39 PM
P: 856
... I live in my parentís house, because I mean, where else would I be living?
Umm... In your own place? How old are you?
Crake2
Nov29-12, 02:18 AM
P: 7
Quote Quote by gmax137 View Post
Umm... In your own place? How old are you?
He just said he does a "couple of private tutoring jobs".. How was he gonna buy a place for himself? Well, he could always try and live in a dumpster and call it his "own place"
failexam
Nov30-12, 12:51 PM
P: 339
LMFAO, if I may use that expression in a site like physicsforums!!! ha ha ha!!!

No offence gmax137, but where I come from (in a third world indian subcontinental country), it's common to live with your parents, even when you are married and have kids!
Evo
Nov30-12, 01:08 PM
Mentor
P: 26,555
No offence gmax137, but where I come from (in a third world indian subcontinental country), it's common to live with your parents, even when you are married and have kids!
Good point! My ex-fiance lived in Sicily, and they are very traditional there. It's very common for three generations to live together. The parents take care of the children until the time comes when the children take care of the parents. It's been a successful way of life for thousands of years. I don't understand where the belief comes from that once a child reaches 18 they suddenly become worthless if they live at home, especially between school semesters. My kids are welcome to live with me at any age. I think at this point they'd rather die than give up their freedom though. They're established and supporting themselves while attending school, but it wasn't always that way. The first few years were back and forth, and being able to "come home" and re-group allowed them to become successful. I never tried to impose my lifestyle on them. Who cares what time they go to bed and wake up if they don't have to be somewhere?
Monique
Nov30-12, 01:54 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 4,642
As long as you contribute in some way to your parents (and thus take care of your duty), I think they shouldn't complain about your habit.

My boyfriend often goes to sleep around 6 am and wakes up after 2 pm, he has his own enterprise and his clients are happy that he's fully available after business hours. I don't complain, as long as he's productive (and gets up when it's necessary).

Register to reply