PhD in Electrical and Electronic Engineering

by thomasbenoy
Tags: electrical, electronic, engineering
Share this thread:
thomasbenoy
Nov30-12, 04:20 PM
P: 1
Hi,

I have a master of science degree in photonics. I wanted to pursue a career in photonics related fields. My major interests are in nonlinear optics,laser physics,fiber optics and material science.

I have received an offer for PhD in electrical engineering(micro-systems and photonics group) in the field of tunable diode laser spectroscopy for gas exhaust measurement.

I am really in a fix because I am afraid a PhD in Electrical and Electronic Engg will derail me from the physics research track, and I will not be able to work in Physics later on.

kindly advice me on this topic.

PS: my supervisor is a Physicist from the univ of Manchester.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Sapphire talk enlivens guesswork over iPhone 6
Geneticists offer clues to better rice, tomato crops
UConn makes 3-D copies of antique instrument parts
Bipolarity
Nov30-12, 08:41 PM
P: 783
Quote Quote by thomasbenoy View Post
Hi,

I have a master of science degree in photonics. I wanted to pursue a career in photonics related fields. My major interests are in nonlinear optics,laser physics,fiber optics and material science.

I have received an offer for PhD in electrical engineering(micro-systems and photonics group) in the field of tunable diode laser spectroscopy for gas exhaust measurement.

I am really in a fix because I am afraid a PhD in Electrical and Electronic Engg will derail me from the physics research track, and I will not be able to work in Physics later on.

kindly advice me on this topic.

PS: my supervisor is a Physicist from the univ of Manchester.
Lots of electrical engineers work in physics, more so in optics. OFS Labs in New Jersey hire mainly electrical engineers and physicists and their work overlaps heavily.

BiP
thomahawk
Dec1-12, 11:40 AM
P: 2
Hi
My idea so far is that electrical engineering is a subset of Physics, and at the higher level there is no well defined border between science and engineering;it is all interdisciplinary.

Register to reply