Thinking about switching my PhD program

In summary, the PhD student has recently started a PhD program and is unhappy with the lack of projects he is assigned to work on.
Exabyte
Hello everyone

I've recently started a PhD program at a pretty respected university even though I wouldn't want to disclose the exact field. My background is in physics and electrical/electronic engineering (BSc in both, MSc in Electronic Engineering).

After I graduated with my MSc I got hired as a systems engineer at a company which closely cooperates with the institute where I just started my PhD. I worked for said company for around half a year but eventually I wanted to leave mostly because the work I had to do didn't really align with my interests very well. My core interests are electronic engineering (power electronics, radio frequency, FPGA, Embedded Systems etc.) as well as numerical simulations so I always tried to find work or a PhD program in that area. When I worked for the company affiliated with the institute I mostly did software engineering of real-time systems and I also got to do a tiny bit of sensor development as well as a bit of numerical simulations (mostly COMSOL and Ansys Electronics) even though most of the work was software engineering. I liked my job at first because I learned quite a lot by working on a larger software project (e.g. proper version control & unit testing, documentation, lots of libraries etc...) but I really missed electronic development and simulations so I decided to quit and after looking for some time I got two good job offers in related fields.

However, before I signed a contract for one of these companies the institute head basically wanted to talk to me and told me he'd be happy if I could stay at the institute and he would give me the opportunity to do a PhD there. Now I always wanted to do a PhD in the areas that interest me but there was the issue that the work that I had been doing so far didn't really cover my core interests. I mentioned this to the institutes head and he said that there were lots of problems to solve in my areas of interest and he even mentioned two projects explicitly which he thought might be interesting PhD projects for me even though we didn't agree on a definite project. A PostDoc with whom I worked with quite a lot basically reiterated the same thing and told me there were lots of interesting projects. So I eventually decided to do a PhD at that institute.

So now I'm around two and a half weeks into my PhD and unfortunately it turned out that the two projects the institutes head mentioned aren't going to be realized and I essentially don't have a PhD project. Many PhD students in my group basically tell me this situation is normal for a new PhD student in the group and I would have to work there for a couple of months, read lots of papers and I would eventually develop a good idea for a PhD project together with my supervisor.

The problem is that I really don't see any interesting projects around. Right now I'm again doing work which has nothing to do with my interests (mostly software engineering as well as system identification/testing) and I'm kind of regretting not taking these industry jobs since I think the work there would've been more interesting. It also feels like I'm loosing valuable time developing skills in the areas that really interest me even though I'm not too old yet (early 20s). I recently talked to the PostDoc again and he basically repeated that he had "lots of ideas regarding interesting projects" but whenever I inquire more detailed information his ideas usually turn out to be not realizable and he typically gives me some new tasks in areas which don't interest me all that much.

So now I basically have the following questions:
  1. If I decide to quit the program and work for some time in the industry, do you think the fact that I left a previous PhD program would greatly reduce my chances of finding another PhD program in a field that interests me more?
  2. Do you think it makes sense to just work at the institute for maybe a year and hope that a new project comes up which I would find more interesting?
I really don't know what I should do in this situation :(.

Physics news on Phys.org
What prevents you from coming up with your own projects alongside your supervisor, like your fellow PhD students have suggested? A PhD where you only work on projects that other people come up with sounds quite boring, doesn't it?

1. What are the reasons for considering switching my PhD program?

There could be various reasons for wanting to switch your PhD program. Some common reasons include lack of interest in your current research topic, a better opportunity at another university or program, or a change in career goals. It is important to carefully evaluate your reasons and make an informed decision.

2. Will switching my PhD program affect my funding or scholarship?

This will depend on the policies of your current and potential new program. It is important to check with your advisor or program coordinator to understand the impact of switching on your funding and scholarship. In some cases, you may need to reapply for funding or scholarships, while in others, your current funding may transfer to the new program.

3. How will switching my PhD program affect my timeline for graduation?

Switching your PhD program may affect your timeline for graduation, as you may need to redo some coursework or research. However, if you are transferring to a similar program, you may be able to transfer credits and continue your research without much delay. It is important to discuss this with your advisor and create a plan for completing your degree within a reasonable timeline.

4. What steps should I take to switch my PhD program?

The first step is to have a conversation with your advisor and express your interest in switching. They can provide guidance and may also have connections with other programs. You will also need to research potential programs, meet their admission requirements, and submit an application. If accepted, you will need to formally withdraw from your current program and complete any necessary paperwork for the transfer.

5. Is it common for PhD students to switch programs?

Yes, it is not uncommon for PhD students to switch programs. Many students realize that their interests or career goals have changed, or that their current program is not the best fit for them. It is important to remember that switching programs does not reflect failure, but rather a desire for growth and development. It is always better to make a well-informed decision rather than sticking with a program that no longer aligns with your goals.