Describing polarization of a coheret state parametrizing on poincare sphere

In summary, the question is asking for help in representing a polarization vector for light as a manifold of two-state. Some answers may not be provided due to the belief that the question is pointless or because the person does not have enough knowledge on the subject. The question asks for honest opinions and impressions on the topic, regardless of whether the person understands it fully or not.
Physics news on Phys.org
Just a comment:
There are some questions that pass unanswered for hidden reasons.

Some suggest they don't answer it for being pointless. I'm always suspicious when this happens, because this is not consistent with the behavious of these same people when faced with other questions.

Some don't answer simply because they don't know.It seems to this questions involves vary basic know]edge on the subject and that I can't answer it just because I was not introduced to it. And I refer to an honest introduction, not some ego trip presentation/text by someone who either does not understand well the subject(simple as it may be) or intentionally mystifies it to pose as "the smart guy/high arcanist".

So I'd like to ask for, at least, your impressions on this question. At simple as it may be. Just like "I don't know", "I know but I won't tell because of the effort involved", "I'm also confused by these projections", "I think there is something wrong with these projections" etc.

1. What is a coheret state?

A coheret state is a quantum state that describes a single photon, which has a definite polarization direction. It is also known as a coherent state or a pure state.

2. What is polarization?

Polarization is a property of light that describes the direction in which the electric field oscillates. It can be linear, circular, or elliptical.

3. What is the Poincare sphere?

The Poincare sphere is a geometric representation of the polarization state of a photon. It is a sphere where the north and south poles represent the two possible circular polarizations, and the equator represents the linear polarizations. The points on the surface of the sphere represent all possible polarization states.

4. How is a coheret state parametrized on the Poincare sphere?

A coheret state can be described using two parameters, the azimuth angle and the elevation angle, on the Poincare sphere. The azimuth angle represents the orientation of the polarization along the equator, and the elevation angle represents the angle between the polarization direction and the north pole.

5. What is the significance of describing polarization on the Poincare sphere?

The Poincare sphere provides a convenient and intuitive way to visualize and understand the polarization of a coheret state. It allows scientists to easily analyze and manipulate the polarization state of a photon, which is important for applications in quantum information processing and quantum communication.