Register to reply

Movies for hardcore sci-fi geeks

by Ivan Seeking
Tags: geeks, hardcore, movies, scifi
Share this thread:
GregJ
Feb16-12, 03:37 PM
P: 67
No one seems to have mentioned it, so I will.
Total Recall. One of my favorites of all time. Based very loosely off a Philip K. Dick short.

Although I can't believe that they are making a remake without Arnie...

***Edit: Also Saturn 3 was fun to watch.***
Borek
Mar12-12, 05:04 PM
Admin
P: 23,716
Quote Quote by Ivan Seeking View Post
Happy Accidents (2000)

A rare find and a gem
Agreed.
DaveC426913
Mar12-12, 06:13 PM
P: 15,319
Quote Quote by GregJ View Post

***Edit: Also Saturn 3 was fun to watch.***
Mmmm. Farrah....
Ivan Seeking
Mar20-12, 11:21 AM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 12,501
Last Night - 1998

What do you do when you have six hours to live? Last Night chronicles a small group of people whose lives intersect as a nameless apocalypse descends on them, which director Don McKellar handles with grace and solemn dignity....
A wonderful film similar in style and quality to The Man From Earth, I will just quote one review from Netflix that says it all with a bit more enthusiasm than I would claim.

If the parmount criterion for a five-star movie is that the viewer is riveted to the screen for the entire time, then this exceptional film surely qualifies. Technically, it's not perfect by any means, but it is haunting, poignant, shattering, spellbinding, enlightening, thought-provoking and heartbreakingly magical. As the end of the world grows near and the countdown reachs its conclusion, I defy you not to contemplate what you would be doing in the same circumstances. Don McKellar and Sandra Oh head a cast of fine actors who commit themselves to this film in extraordinary ways. I loved it!
- Netflix reviewer
Ivan Seeking
Mar21-12, 02:04 AM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
Another understated but absolutely charming, yet occasionally harsh film, The Bothersome Man - Norwegian, 2006

Mysteriously deposited in a perfectly serene but colorless city where every need is met, Andreas soon realizes that not even a new lover can change the sterile banality drowning him. Is this placid life a dream come true or an inescapable hell? Is the lovely music coming from a crack in the basement his ticket out? This provocative black comedy is directed by Jens Lien and stars Trond Fausa Aurvaag and Petronella Barker.
- Netflix
ThomasT
Apr10-12, 11:50 PM
P: 1,414
Recently saw John Carter. Really enjoyed it. Cgi special effects and cliche driven, but most entertaining. Also saw Battle L.A., Cowboys & Aliens, and Super 8 a while back. They're all worth watching, imo. I think Avatar's already been mentioned. I enjoyed it and John Carter about equally.

Looking forward to Prometheus and Battleship. Prometheus, by one of my favorite directors, Ridley Scott, looks from the trailers and clips to be maybe the best scifi film ever made. Of course I'm partial to hardware, heavy on the cgi, sort of scifi. Prometheus appears to have this as well as a most intriguing story line, and I think Scott is one of the better film storytellers.

I'm looking forward to spending some quality hours watching the upcoming blockbusters in the coolness, and on the big screen, of the local IMAX theatre.
karan4496
Sep12-12, 06:12 PM
P: 8
I recently watched 'Pi' which is sort of a mathematics-fiction film. It has an interesting premise and the film itself is quite psychological and dare I say, hypnotic in some parts.
ChiralWaltz
Sep13-12, 02:45 AM
P: 145
Quote Quote by karan4496 View Post
I recently watched 'Pi' which is sort of a mathematics-fiction film. It has an interesting premise and the film itself is quite psychological and dare I say, hypnotic in some parts.
Darren Aronofsky is a great director.

I recently purchased Ghost in the Shell 2.0. The original director and writers from the 1st GITS redid the backgrounds and added some fun CGI. While some may complain about the upgrade, I thought it was rather refreshing. I think it is also available on Hulu, free to watch.
Bandersnatch
Sep17-12, 03:27 PM
P: 740
Quote Quote by Ivan Seeking View Post
Another understated but absolutely charming, yet occasionally harsh film, The Bothersome Man - Norwegian, 2006
I've just seen this one - It was fantastic! And it had the most hilariously gruesome suicide scene I've ever seen.

So as to make a somewhat more constructive input: has anyone here seen Rollerball? The 70s version, not the horrendous 2000-ish remake.
Corporate totalitarian regime rules the whole world using the "bread and circuses" approach. Rollerball is a sport that fills the role of "circuses" here. The story follows one player, who begins to realize the extent to which the society have given up it's liberties.
Can't say it's less fitting a commentary on a society now, than it was back then.

For a flick with an invented, brutal sport at it's centre, it feels very subdued and subtle.
Travis_King
Sep17-12, 05:15 PM
P: 851
I'm sure someone has said Primer, right?

What an awesome movie...

Edit: Haha, the first post...
godat55
Dec1-12, 01:26 PM
P: n/a
godat_99@hotmail.com
Crake2
Dec1-12, 01:31 PM
P: 7
Quote Quote by godat55 View Post
Oh, thank god you posted your e-mail on a public forum... We're so glad to know it! And I bet you're so glad for all the spam you'll probably get. Really good idea mate.
Ivan Seeking
Dec1-12, 05:16 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
Quote Quote by Bandersnatch View Post
I've just seen this one - It was fantastic! And it had the most hilariously gruesome suicide scene I've ever seen.

So as to make a somewhat more constructive input: has anyone here seen Rollerball? The 70s version, not the horrendous 2000-ish remake.
Corporate totalitarian regime rules the whole world using the "bread and circuses" approach. Rollerball is a sport that fills the role of "circuses" here. The story follows one player, who begins to realize the extent to which the society have given up it's liberties.
Can't say it's less fitting a commentary on a society now, than it was back then.

For a flick with an invented, brutal sport at it's centre, it feels very subdued and subtle.
Rollerball was iconic and had a cult following. It wasn't the quality of the movie but the message it carried to a generation that had grown up with the cold war and the notion of big brother. You left out the idea that the game replaced war. That sounded like a pretty good idea to a kid who had grown up with monthly air raid drills all while knowing that a real attack meant certain death.
Darwin123
Feb1-13, 09:01 PM
P: 741
Quote Quote by git67 View Post
a scanner darkly, IMHO blade runner was a much better book (do androids dream of electric sheep)
I liked "A Scanner Darkly" a great deal. However, I think it had one fantasy elements that disqualify it as a "hard" science fiction story.

The main fantasy device was that disguise they use which adiabatically changes the appearance of the person is wearing it. The appearance changes slowly and continuously. At no point is the change abrupt enough to be seen as a change. However, enough change accumulates so no one can remember the original appearance of the disguise. The total effect depersonalizes the person who wears it, so he is thought of as inconsequential.

The symbolism behind the device was both chilling and sad. However, I don't see any science that would allow such a device to be made. Furthermore, I was not convinced of the psychology behind the effect. The cartoon showed the amorphous device changing. However, it was very noticeable. One would see such a disguise in real life. Therefore, the science wasn't realistic.

Or maybe not. Are there any real world analogs to this slowly changing disguise?
brenan
Mar6-13, 08:35 AM
P: 37
Quote Quote by Darwin123 View Post

Or maybe not. Are there any real world analogs to this slowly changing disguise?
I dont think the speed is an issue but when looking at "hard" science fiction the test I normally apply is
1. is it possible? Dragons could be bio-enginnered but actual "magic" wands cannot be made
2. is it feasible given the current state of knowledge - canals on mars are no longer so but were once -science fiction turns to fantasy
3. Is it ruled out by current knowledge as lacking evidence but with blind acceptance by cranks - see dianetics - UFO(in sacuer guise) chasers and "druids"

We have disguises now in the form or realistic masks and make-up and materials that
"self heal" when damaged are recent creations so its not too hard to extrapolate that sort
of thing could be very functional say 500 years from now. It doesnt have to be electronics based (but it could be - BAE systems unveiled a neat method of hiding tanks about 18 months ago - extrapolate that tech 500 years...)

Is it possible as portrayed - yes I'd say so - but unlikely in my lifetime.

The book was typically Phil. Dick and I loved it.
The movie I thought was pathetic.
DiracPool
Jun25-13, 06:44 PM
P: 610
Not that anybody cares (as usual), but I will go ahead and tell you anyway (as usual), my number one favorite sci-fi film of all time is.......incidentally my actually number one favorite movie of all time in general, and that movie is.....You're not going to guess it, trust me, Ta Da...

2010: The year we make contact

That movie came out when I was in high school so it was kind of a coming of age science-life harbinger for me. I was just getting into computers, building my own 6502 based hack computers, selling cheesy naked photoetched homemade memory boards to my friends who had commodore computers, going to my local computer club weekly meetings, etc. Life was good.

I wanted to be Heywood Floyd back then and still do. My life took a turn but I'm turnin it back, Baby! I want to be the former NCS chairman who now is the chancellor of the university because it pays better. I want to have the hot oceanographer wife with the indoor dolphin pool, I want....

You watch, I'll do it, you can't stop me, Mwaaahahhhahahhahahhaha.
solar71
Jul16-13, 08:29 PM
P: 30
Top five for me:

1984 sort of scifi
Brazil of course
Moon because of its great atmosphere
Blade runner because it just rocked
Event horizon because it really scared the crap out of me

Wait wait I almost forgot.

#6 the fountain. Because Aranofsky kicks ***
Travis_King
Jul17-13, 10:57 AM
P: 851
My top list is, in no particular order:

GATTACA - I mean c'mon, what a great movie.
Primer - Time travel handled properly, anyone?
Moon - I thought this one was an interesting story, and I too liked the atmosphere (though it's a little funny to say that, since it takes place on the moon...)
Pandorum - Seed ship sails into deep space, scary stuff happens. One of my favorites in general.
Serenity (along with the Firefly series) - I like 'em.
District 9 - Thought this was pretty darn good. I also think it's relative success lead to some more widespread interest in cinema science fiction.
Twelve Monkeys - Bruce, you strange, strange man. Pretty good movie.
Children of Men - A well-shot and well-written movie.
THX 1138 - A Lucas movie, pre-Star Wars. Sort of a 1984 meets Brave New World, but it's neither of those.
eXistenZ - at times cheezy, and the strange game console thing is, well, strange. But a pretty good movie. Sort of inception-esque in the ending, too, before they did it. (Inception, admittedly, probably better).

I also enjoyed a movie called Logan's Run. It's older sci fi, but it's a pretty neat movie.

I didn't include Star Wars or Jurassic Park because it's pretty obvious that if you like sci-fi you should watch those.

*edit* Had to throw in Planet of the Apes and Blade Runner in those, "You should know these movies already" list.

Register to reply