Register to reply

When standard deviation is undefined?

by socrates_1
Tags: deviation, standard, undefined
Share this thread:
socrates_1
Dec3-12, 06:23 PM
P: 27
Hi, I just solved a probability density function problem and the standard deviation is undefined.Does anyone know why it happens?It would help to develop my understanding.Thanks.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Hoverbike drone project for air transport takes off
Earlier Stone Age artifacts found in Northern Cape of South Africa
Study reveals new characteristics of complex oxide surfaces
Number Nine
Dec3-12, 07:02 PM
P: 772
Since you provided no details about the problem or the distribution you derived, it's hard for anyone to comment. Do you mean that the integral diverges when you try to calculate the variance? That's not unusual; there are a number of distributions lacking finite variance (see: Cauchy distribution).
socrates_1
Dec4-12, 05:33 AM
P: 27
Quote Quote by Number Nine View Post
Since you provided no details about the problem or the distribution you derived, it's hard for anyone to comment. Do you mean that the integral diverges when you try to calculate the variance? That's not unusual; there are a number of distributions lacking finite variance (see: Cauchy distribution).
Thank you very much for your response.The probability density function is given by :
f(x)= 24/x^3

When I try to calculate ∫ (x^2) f(x) - (m^2) is undefined.Why this is so?

micromass
Dec4-12, 06:29 AM
Mentor
P: 18,019
When standard deviation is undefined?

Quote Quote by socrates_1 View Post
Thank you very much for your response.The probability density function is given by :
f(x)= 24/x^3
That's not a valid density function. Are there any restrictions on x that you are forgetting to tell us?

Register to reply