Error bars in Excel (standard deviation, standard error, percentage)

fog37
TL;DR Summary
understand error bars in excel
Hello,

I was working in excel on data reported in two columns, X data and Y data. I measured both X and Y, i.e. Y was not calculated using a function and the X data. The Y an X data was plotted as Y vs X using a scatterplot. The Excel graph offers the option to add error bars over each point in the scatterplot.

I know what the standard deviation SD is: the X and Y columns/sets have each a standard deviation which indicates the spread of values in X and the spread of values in Y relative to the mean of X and the mean of Y respectively.

The standard error SE is different from the SD: the set X is to be viewed a sample of a larger and unknown population. Given the sample mean of X, the SE indicates the spread of all the potential sample means around the actual population mean. We have calculated only one sample mean since we only a have a single sample. But the smaller the SE the better because a small SE indicates that our estimated sample mean is more likely to be close to the population mean....The same reasoning applies to the set Y. I hope I am correct.

So the SD is about the variation within a sample of data while the SE is about the means of a group of samples.

That said, the error bars in Excel can be vertical and/or horizontal and represent standard errors, standard deviations or percentage. What do the error bars (for example SD error bars) represent over each point? How should we interpret those error bars? Since all Y data has the same SD, are the vertical errors bars supposed to be the same length? Same goes for the horizontal error bars...

What would SE error bars mean over the points in the scatterplot? I am confused on how to interpret them...

Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
fog37 said:
That said, the error bars in Excel can be vertical and/or horizontal and represent standard errors, standard deviations or percentage. What do the error bars (for example SD error bars) represent over each point?
What would SE error bars mean over the points in the scatterplot? I am confused on how to interpret them...
I can understand your confusion: the "Standard Deviation" and "Standard Error" options don't really do anything useful. Having said that, it is fairly easy to work out what they are showing. Why don't you try selecting the different options and viewing the results: if any are unclear you could post them here and someone might confirm your interpretations, although as I say they don't show anything useful so I wouldn't waste your time on it.

If you want to show meaningful error bars then you need to calculate them yourself and add them with the Custom option: there are many tutorials on the interweb for this ("excel custom error bars").

Likes fog37 and BvU
pbuk said:
I can understand your confusion: the "Standard Deviation" and "Standard Error" options don't really do anything useful. Having said that, it is fairly easy to work out what they are showing. Why don't you try selecting the different options and viewing the results: if any are unclear you could post them here and someone might confirm your interpretations, although as I say they don't show anything useful so I wouldn't waste your time on it.

If you want to show meaningful error bars then you need to calculate them yourself and add them with the Custom option: there are many tutorials on the interweb for this ("excel custom error bars").
Will do thank you for the input. I can now create custom vertical error bars that represent the confidence interval CI.
My confusion is more conceptual: the confidence interval CI applies to the predicted "average" value Y. We get the predicted mean value after plotting the best fit regression curve for the X,Y data. The CI is created this way: regression predicted Y values ##\pm## margin of error ME.

The error bars should not go on the sample data points themselves, correct? But that is what Excel does: it places the error bars on the data points themselves...

Also, the CI is calculated using the margin of error ME which, in turn, is calculated using the standard error SE. That said, the SE represents the spread/standard deviation of the average value IF we collected a multitude of samples. The smaller SE, the more likely our estimated average is close to the population average. The ME is related to SE. Which one, the ME or the SE, makes more sense to describe the uncertainty of the predicted value Y for a certain X input? I am confused about that. The CI also describes how close the estimated average value is to the population value, I guess..

fog37 said:
The error bars should not go on the sample data points themselves, correct?
Which one, the ME or the SE, makes more sense to describe the uncertainty of the predicted value Y for a certain X input?
Depends, there are many ways of presenting uncertain data. What experience do you have in data science? There are lots of resources on the interweb, some good some bad. MIT's Open Courseware is often a good starting point: https://ocw.mit.edu/courses/res-6-009-how-to-process-analyze-and-visualize-data-january-iap-2012/

Last edited:
Likes WWGD
Maybe this refers to residuals, i.e., in ##(x_i, y_i)##, the error bars may refer to the difference between the prediction y_i^ of ##y_i ## by the model, minus the actual value ##y_i##.

1. What are error bars in Excel?

Error bars in Excel are graphical representations of the variability of data. They are used to show the uncertainty in a reported measurement, or to indicate how spread out the data points are. Error bars can represent different types of data dispersion such as standard deviation, standard error, or a percentage range.

2. How do you add standard deviation error bars in Excel?

To add standard deviation error bars in Excel, first select the chart to which you want to add error bars. Then, click on the "Chart Elements" button (plus icon next to the chart), and check "Error Bars". Choose "More Options" to open the Format Error Bars pane, where you can select "Standard Deviation". You can customize the error bars further by specifying whether they should appear for both directions and how many standard deviations you want to use.

3. What is the difference between standard deviation and standard error for error bars?

The standard deviation is a measure of the amount of variation or dispersion in a set of values. It shows how much variation there is from the average (mean). Standard error, on the other hand, measures the accuracy with which a sample represents a population. In Excel, using standard deviation error bars is common when you want to show variability among the sampled data, whereas standard error bars are used to indicate the precision of the mean estimate.

4. How can you add error bars that represent a percentage in Excel?

To add error bars that represent a percentage in Excel, you need to calculate the percentage error for each data point first. Once calculated, select your chart, go to "Chart Elements", and select "Error Bars" followed by "More Options". In the Format Error Bars pane, choose "Custom" and then click "Specify Value". Enter your calculated positive and negative percentage errors in the respective fields to apply them to the chart.

5. Can you format error bars in Excel to improve chart readability?

Yes, Excel allows you to format error bars to improve chart readability. You can change the color, thickness, and style of the line used for error bars. To do this, after adding error bars, select them directly on the chart or use the Format Error Bars pane. Here, you can adjust options under "Line" to change the appearance of the error bars, making them easier to see and interpret against your chart data.