Hobbit the Movie

by Greg Bernhardt
Tags: hobbit, movie
Share this thread:
Borg
Oct26-12, 04:17 PM
PF Gold
P: 771
It has been a very long time since I read the Hobbit. But, I'm glad to see that Peter Jackson is directing and that it was fimed in New Zealand like the others. My wife and I went there in 2004 and got to tour the actual site of Hobbiton so I'm looking forward to those scenes.
HallsofIvy
Oct29-12, 02:34 PM
Math
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
Thanks
PF Gold
P: 39,564
Does anyone remember the 1977 Rankin and Bass animated version? I still have a video tape of it. Cute, nicely done although all of the characters looked like they were from Sendak's "Where the Wild Thing Are". The voices were well done: Smaug easily reconizable as Richard Boon, Gadalf was John Huston, the elvenking was Otto Preminger, Has Conreid was Thorin Oakenshield, and Orson Bean was Bilbo.

The one really grating part was a continuing "voice over" song, "The greatest Adventure" which kind of narrated the story, including poem lyrics from the book, sung by Glen Yarbrough!
Borek
Oct29-12, 02:42 PM
Admin
P: 23,592
Quote Quote by HallsofIvy View Post
Does anyone remember the 1977 Rankin and Bass animated version?
You mean...

SHISHKABOB
Oct29-12, 02:44 PM
P: 614
see all I'm looking at is the little preview picture of that youtube video and I see the dwarves in the forest and bilbo is climbin a tree

all the dwarves they just look dwarfy to me. Cute little clothes and a hat thing and a beard. The pictures I've seen of the dwarves in the Hobbit movie all look kind of ridiculous.
Borek
Oct29-12, 02:51 PM
Admin
P: 23,592
The previous video made me think about

(apparently not entirely original version)
SHISHKABOB
Nov1-12, 08:30 PM
I just found out that they are going to make this movie into three parts. That makes me MUCH less apprehensive about it, because I am assuming that they are doing it in three parts so that they can really do it justice. I always hate watching movies based on books and seeing parts of it cut out. I mean, I know that they *have* to cut out parts else you'd get ridiculously long movies. But IMO things like the Hobbit and LotR are worth spending a lot of time on, because there's just so much to them.
Curious3141
Nov1-12, 09:48 PM
HW Helper
P: 2,952
Quote Quote by Evo View Post
Bad? LOTR won 3 academy awards for special effects. What on earth are you referring to?
Maybe he means "bad" as Michael Jackson meant it. Y' know, BAAAAD. A compliment.
Borg
Nov2-12, 02:48 AM
PF Gold
P: 771
Peter Jackson and Air New Zealand teamed up for a flight safety video.

Spinalcold
Nov26-12, 08:06 PM
P: 17
I wonder how he'll pull off the worg-goblin conversation. In LoTR he portrayed Worgs as mindless, but they speak and its a very important part in The Hobbit. Gandalf understands what they say when they are trapped in the trees and starts throwing fire acorns at them.
arildno
Nov26-12, 09:53 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
PF Gold
P: 12,016
Quote Quote by Spinalcold View Post
I wonder how he'll pull off the worg-goblin conversation. In LoTR he portrayed Worgs as mindless, but they speak and its a very important part in The Hobbit. Gandalf understands what they say when they are trapped in the trees and starts throwing fire acorns at them.
Talking wolves have beards.
Ivan Seeking
Nov27-12, 11:01 AM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 12,501
I didn't look to see if this has been mentioned but Denny's Restaurants have introduced a Hobbit Menu

From the menu: "Welcome to Middle-Earth's Diner: Discover many new items inspired by The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey. Whether you're here for First Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner or Second Breakfast, every bite's a treasure. So lift up your fork and let the adventure begin. " ...
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/grubgr...b_2009741.html

As a result there is a huge demand for short order cooks.
nanosiborg
Nov28-12, 02:00 AM
P: 79
Quote Quote by Ivan Seeking View Post
I didn't look to see if this has been mentioned but Denny's Restaurants have introduced a Hobbit Menu

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/grubgr...b_2009741.html

As a result there is a huge demand for short order cooks.
Denny's. Isn't that the restaurant that the Donner family decided not to eat at?
cephron
Nov28-12, 12:07 PM
P: 125
For me, the biggest letdown in the LotR movies was the way the eye of Sauron was portrayed in the last movie--a great big ball of fire on top of a tower. The Eye should never have been visible in normal shots, but only in "Ring-vision" flashes or through the Palantiri. IMO, to do otherwise really cheapens the power of Sauron's spiritual presence. And the way they treated his gaze like a searchlight, from which you hide by crouching behind rocks, was really lame. It's a simple change, but I think one could take Sauron a lot more seriously if those shots that panned up Barad-dur simply came to focus on that empty spot where you know Sauron is--but you don't see him.

Beyond that, it would be cool if Gimli wasn't always a complete buffoon. Comic relief isn't bad, but the poor guy didn't get to be much else.

Beyond that, I loved the movies quite a bit, and am ok with most of the changes and omissions made. Looking forward to the Hobbit!
Saladsamurai
Nov30-12, 09:04 PM
P: 3,016
arildno
Dec4-12, 05:47 AM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
PF Gold
Initial verdicts from reviews at rottentomatoes seems to be..rather underwhelming.
Too many dwarves (inevitable), too awkward&much "humour" (unfortunate), too long introduction (not particularly disappointing), too drawn-out breathless action (major flaw, IMO), too episodic (expected). A particular concern is that the 48 frames per second seems to be more annoying than enriching.
Anyways, I'm probably going to see this movie a dozen times or more..
stargazer3
Dec4-12, 09:14 AM
P: 44
My own concern is that this is not another epic trilogy to be filmed. This is a fairy tale! And I'm just not sure if I can tolerate a childhood bedtime story transformed into a yet another Hollywood blockbuster.

Even the dwarves are not the way they ought to be. No brightly coloured cloaks, their lovely instruments are replaced by an epic songsinging, etc. Come on, just take a look at Thorin! In the movie, he is a warrior, while in the book he's a white-bearded wise dwarf. Stubborn, proud, and brave, but fairy-taleish still. One glance at the cast and trailers has confirmed all my fears about the upcoming movie. It is going to be in the same style as LotR, projecting every single thing from the story into desires of masses, who will go to the movie theaters, without reading the book and expecting a thrilling experience.

*sigh*
And yes, I am going to watch it a dozen times too.
SHISHKABOB
Dec4-12, 11:09 AM
I would like to point out that Thorin, and also two other dwarves, died as warriors, so I'm not sure it's correct to say that depicting them as warriors is completely a bad idea.

I don't know that I'd call The Hobbit a "fairy tale", but it's been a while since I've read it.
arildno
Dec4-12, 04:55 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
PF Gold
as of now, 2 out of 3 top critics classify it as rotten, and third, at Variety, is so critical it ought to be regarded as rotten as well.

Register to reply