U(n) as subgroup of O(2n)

by timb00
Tags: subgroup
Share this thread:
timb00
Dec4-12, 06:55 AM
P: 16
Hi everybody,

I hope that I chose the right Forum for my question. As the title might suggest, I am interested in the embedding of the Lie algebra of U(n) into the Lie Algebra of O(2n). In connection with this it would be interesting to understand the resulting embedding of U(n) in O(2n). I tried to find something in the literature, but I didn't succeed.

Since the application is far away I can't really explain the reason for my question. Eventually I start with a matrix which is an Element of Lie(U(n)) and want to understand how this matrix is embedded in Lie(O(2n)).

Here O(2n) means the the symmetry group of a scalar product on a real vector space of dimension 2n.

Maybe someone of you knows a good book or a publication that is related to this embedding and explains it.

Thanks for reading and perhaps for answering,

Timb00
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Hoverbike drone project for air transport takes off
Earlier Stone Age artifacts found in Northern Cape of South Africa
Study reveals new characteristics of complex oxide surfaces
quasar987
Dec5-12, 08:02 AM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
PF Gold
P: 4,772
Hello timb00. This folllows from the natural identification of C with Rē that sends a+ib to (a,b). First extend this to an isomorphism (of real vector spaces) btw C^n with R^2n. Then through conjugation by this iso, endomorphisms of C^n can be identified with endomorphisms of R^2n.* This defines an embedding of Mat(n,C) in Mat (2n,R). It is not hars to show that U(n) lands precisely in GL(n,C) n O(2n,R) = GL(n,C) n SP(2n,R) = O(2n) n Sp(2n,R). Therefor as a lie subalgebra of o(2n,R), u(n) is o(2n,R) n sp(2n,R).

*You should find that a complex nxn matrix with ij-th entry is a+ib corresponds to the real 2nx2n matrix obtained by remplacing a+ib by the 2x2 sub matrix

a -b
b a

P.S. A source for this stuff is the symplectic geometry books by McDuff-Salamon and by Anna Cana da Silva. The later is free online on her website.
dextercioby
Dec5-12, 05:47 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 11,894
Since the name is not properly spelled, here's the direct link http://www.math.ist.utl.pt/~acannas/

timb00
Dec7-12, 03:00 AM
P: 16
U(n) as subgroup of O(2n)

Hi,

thank you quasar987 and dextercioby for your replay. I will have a look on the sources you recommended to me. Till now I only though about it using Dynkin diagrams.

Maybe a last question. If u is an element of the lie algebra of U(n), say an n x n skew hermitian matrix. Exist there an element of O of O(2n) such that the adjoint action Ad(O)u = OuO^T is an element of the lie algebra of O(2n)?

During I am writting it, I think the answer is: No! But maybe someone has an explanation why ?

Register to reply