Finding Lie-Algebra Invariants -- an Explicit Procedure?

In summary, the conversation discusses various methods for calculating Casimir invariants for Lie algebras. These invariants are expressed in terms of traces of powers of the generators and can be expanded into generalized Casimir invariants. There are also alternate sets of invariants that can be found from the traces of products. The paper also explores the relationship between these invariants and the Killing form for semisimple Lie algebras. Additionally, there is a discussion about the difficulty of calculating these invariants in the Cartan-Weyl basis and the sizes of irreducible invariants for different Lie algebras.
lpetrich
I've found this paper: [physics/9712033] Closed Expressions for Lie Algebra Invariants and Finite Transformations and I've attempted to interpret it.

In some representation, a general Lie-algebra element A = aiLi for generators L (repeated dummy indices summed over, like i here).
det(I - x*A) = xii(A)

where the functions φi(A) are combinations of traces of powers of A: Tr(Ak). They can be expanded
φi(A) = aj1aj2...ajiCD,j1,j2,...,ji

giving a generalized Casimir invariant
CD(i) = CD,j1,j2,...,jiLj1Lj2...Lji

The D is for determinant. I don't get their jumping between lowered-index L's and raised-index L's. Something unstated somewhere, I think. I also don't get their jumping from φ's to C's.

But if one grants that, one can find an alternate set of invariants from the traces of products:
CT,j1,j2,...,ji = Tr(Lj1Lj2...Lji)

with
CT(i) = CT,j1,j2,...,jiLj1Lj2...Lji

with the CM(i)'s in terms of the CT(i)'s and vice versa. Each CT(i) contains CM(i) and vice versa.

-

I've seen other forms of the invariants, like in terms of the commutator and the Killing form:
[Li,Lj] = fijkLk, gij = fiklfjlk, gij = inverse of gij

This makes it work only for semisimple Lie algebras, because the Killing form must be nonsingular here.

Construct matrix Mij = fikjgklLl

The Casimir invariants are CC(i) = Tr(Mi) taking power i of the matrix M with its indices as defined above, then the trace with those indices.

So if that paper's results are valid, there must be some relationship between the CC's and the CT's and CM's.

-

One can make conjectures in some special cases as to the form of the Casimir invariants, notably for orthogonal and pseudo-orthogonal groups SO(n) and SO(n1,n2), n=n1+n2. Let the commutation go
[LijLkl] = hikLjl - hilLjk - hjkLil + hjlLik

where h is some real symmetric nonsingular n*n matrix. The Killing form is
gi1i2,j1j2 = (something) * (hi1,j2hi2,j1 - hi1,j1hi2,j2)

Define a variant of the previous matrix M:
Mij = Likhkj where hij is the inverse of hij.

Then CO(i) = Tr(Mi), trace of power i using this M.

One can show that the CC's contain the CO's, with CC(i) containing CO(i).

For even n, there is a possible one that uses the antisymmetric symbol:
CX = εijkl...LijLkl...

It's easy to show that CO(2n) contains the square of CX.

-

There are further questions about these operators. For semisimple Lie algebras, is there any halfway simple way of calculating them for generators in the Cartan-Weyl basis? That would give the operators' values in terms of the representations' highest weights. I've found A. M. Perelomov, V. S. Popov, “Casimir operators for semisimple Lie groups”, Izv. Akad. Nauk SSSR Ser. Mat., 32:6 (1968), 1368–1390, which does more-or-less that, but it's hard for me to see how Perelomov's and Popov's versions relate to the others.

I tried calculating CD for some of the algebras that the papers' authors mentioned. It worked OK for the Lorentz group, SO(3,1), but not for the Poincaré group, SEuc(3,1) (Special Euclidean). For the Poincaré group, it got the same invariants as for the Lorentz group, though it got the right ones for the latter group. For the Galilean group, it only got the angular-momentum invariant.

I'll note a list of sizes of irreducible invariants. For rank n, an algebra has n of them.
  • U(n): 1, 2, 3, ..., n
  • A(n), SU(n+1): 2, 3, ..., n, n+1
  • B(n), SO(2n+1): 2, 4, ..., 2n
  • C(n), Sp(2n): 2, 4, ..., 2n
  • D(n), SO(2n): 2, 4, ... 2n-2, n (instead of 2n)
  • G2: 2, 6
  • F4: 2, 6, 8, 12
  • E6: 2, 5, 6, 8, 9, 12
  • E7: 2, 6, 8, 10, 12, 14, 18
  • E8: 2, 8, 12, 14, 18, 20, 24, 30
For a real or pseudoreal irrep, an odd-sized invariant will vanish. It's not surprising that irreducible odd-sized invariants only occur in the algebras that have complex irreps: U(n), SU(n) for n >= 3, SO(4n+2), E6.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm sorry you are not finding help at the moment. Is there any additional information you can share with us?

1. What is the purpose of finding Lie-algebra invariants?

The purpose of finding Lie-algebra invariants is to identify and study the properties of a given Lie algebra, which is a mathematical structure used to describe symmetries and transformations in various fields of science. Invariants are quantities or properties that remain unchanged under these transformations, making them important tools for understanding the underlying structure of a system.

2. What is the explicit procedure for finding Lie-algebra invariants?

The explicit procedure for finding Lie-algebra invariants involves using a series of mathematical techniques, such as commutation relations, contraction and expansion, and the trace formula, to construct a set of invariants that form a basis for the Lie algebra. This procedure is often complex and requires a deep understanding of abstract algebra and differential equations.

3. What are some applications of finding Lie-algebra invariants?

Finding Lie-algebra invariants has numerous applications in physics, chemistry, and engineering. In physics, they are used to study symmetries and conservation laws in systems, such as in quantum mechanics and field theory. In chemistry, they can help identify and classify molecules and their properties. In engineering, they are used to analyze and control complex systems, such as in robotics and control theory.

4. Can Lie-algebra invariants be found analytically or only numerically?

Lie-algebra invariants can be found both analytically and numerically. The explicit procedure for finding invariants is an analytical approach that involves solving equations and manipulating mathematical expressions. However, in some cases, it may be computationally more efficient to use numerical methods to find invariants.

5. How do Lie-algebra invariants relate to Lie groups and Lie algebras?

Lie groups and Lie algebras are closely related to Lie-algebra invariants. In fact, the set of invariants that are found using the explicit procedure forms a basis for the Lie algebra and can be used to construct a Lie group, which is a continuous version of the algebra. This connection is important for understanding the structure and symmetries of a system and has many applications in mathematics and physics.