Register to reply

Conceptualisation to materialisation

Share this thread:
polka129
Dec2-12, 03:19 PM
P: 40
did mechanical engineering..but all along i used to think that all we have done is solving problems with no approach to designing..books had published problems and we are required to make FBDs and arrive at answers..but i wonder how are these mechanicall systems actualy designed..whats the philosophy and concept behind a particular system.how did the designer actually materialise an abstract concept into a working mechanical system.can any one recommend any book which has full fledged examples of mechanical systems from conceptualisation to materialisation.?involving drwings,modelling,parametric modelling,etc to real time system prepared to be operated.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
What lit up the universe?
Sheepdogs use just two simple rules to round up large herds of sheep
Animals first flex their muscles
Bobbywhy
Dec6-12, 03:06 AM
PF Gold
P: 1,908
polka129, Do these help?

Design Specification Template
Purpose of these Documents
These documents describe how the system is to be built. They take the requirements [what the system will do] and translate them into a hardware and software design that can be built.
http://www.fhwa.dot.gov/cadiv/segb/v...ion8/8_4_7.htm
++++++++++++++
Be sure to check out the “See also” section for much more information.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Specifi...nical_standard)

Cheers,
Bobbywhy
BobG
Dec7-12, 04:18 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 2,280
Isn't engineering design required for ABET accreditation?

In other words, a certain percentage of the courses require design, plus the program should require at least one major design project (and possibly more smaller design projects). My program had a two semester major group project, complete with both hardware and software engineering students, that had to design and produce a finish product within a limited budget (that could be modified if justified); plus smaller capstone projects; projects that required the paper design, but no product (freed up from the financial constraints of having to actually produce a product); plus many of the courses required design of at least one small project (either individually or group, depending on the difficulty).

AlephZero
Dec7-12, 07:22 PM
Engineering
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
P: 7,151
Conceptualisation to materialisation

I tend to agree with BobG. You can't learn to design things by reading books. You have to actually do it, and learn from your mistakes - preferably in a controllled environment where the mistakes don't cost too much or kill too many people.

But you can't design something unless you can analyze it, so a lot of time in an engineering course is necessarily spent learning how to do analysis.

Register to reply