Question re the Information Paradox

In summary, the black hole information paradox is resolved by the idea that information is not lost in a black hole, but can be viewed on its event horizon. However, as the black hole shrinks through Hawking radiation, the event horizon also shrinks until it eventually disappears, along with the information contained within. There are other theories, such as the possibility of a Planckian remnant or a modification of quantum mechanics, but these are not widely accepted. The question of whether particles/matter still exist if they shrink below the Planck scale is still up for debate. The author's views on the paradox are not mainstream and there is ongoing discussion about it.
Islam Hassan
The black hole information paradox is resolved by considering that "...information is not lost in a black hole, but that all of the information of what is inside of a black hole can be viewed on the event horizon".

As the black hole gets smaller and smaller through the emission of Hawking radiation though, the event horizon is also shrinking. If I understand correctly, at a certain point (Planck length?), the size of the black hole approximates nil. At this point, the black hole, its event horizon and the information contained therein all disappear. So information is effectively destroyed all the same...I don't understand...

IH

Physics news on Phys.org
Islam Hassan said:
The black hole information paradox is resolved by considering that "...information is not lost in a black hole, but that all of the information of what is inside of a black hole can be viewed on the event horizon".
IH

Who says?

cosmik debris said:
Who says?

In this 2011 article, second to last sentence of the last paragraph:

http://taper100.hubpages.com/hub/The-Black-Hole-Information-Paradox-Explained

The author is not a publicly-known academic personality.

On the Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_hole_information_paradox

I did however find the following which may be a reply to my original query:

"Other possibilities include the information being contained in a Planckian remnant left over at the end of Hawking radiation or a modification of the laws of quantum mechanics to allow for non-unitary time evolution."

IH

"Other possibilities include the information being contained in a Planckian remnant left over at the end of Hawking radiation or a modification of the laws of quantum mechanics to allow for non-unitary time evolution."I guess a subsidiary question is if particles/matter shrinks to below the Planck scale, can we say -for all practical purposes- that it still exists?IH

Well I don't think the views of the author are exactly mainstream, if there is such a thing with this subject. If the black hole paradox were solved I would have thought we would have heard about it and discussed it quite a bit on these fora. There is a discussion about this in progress at the moment, a bit of a search will find it.

1. What is the Information Paradox?

The Information Paradox is a theoretical problem in physics that arises when considering the fate of information that enters a black hole. According to general relativity, a black hole has a singularity at its center, where the laws of physics break down. This raises the question of what happens to the information contained in matter that falls into a black hole.

2. Can information be destroyed in a black hole?

According to classical physics, information cannot be destroyed. However, in black hole physics, there is a concept known as the "no-hair" theorem, which states that a black hole can only be described by three parameters: mass, angular momentum, and electric charge. This suggests that any information about the matter that enters a black hole may be lost.

3. How does the Information Paradox challenge our understanding of physics?

The Information Paradox challenges our understanding of physics because it goes against the principle of information conservation, which is a fundamental principle in physics. It also raises questions about the nature of space, time, and the singularity at the center of a black hole.

4. What are some proposed solutions to the Information Paradox?

Some proposed solutions to the Information Paradox include the holographic principle, which suggests that all the information that enters a black hole is stored on its boundary, known as the event horizon. Another proposed solution is the idea of black hole complementarity, which suggests that information is not lost, but is encoded in some way that is not accessible from outside the black hole.

5. How does the study of the Information Paradox impact our understanding of the universe?

The study of the Information Paradox has significant implications for our understanding of the universe. It challenges our current theories of gravity and information conservation, and it may lead to the development of new theories that can help us better understand the nature of black holes and the universe as a whole.