Register to reply

Question re the Information Paradox

by Islam Hassan
Tags: information, paradox
Share this thread:
Islam Hassan
Dec9-12, 04:01 AM
P: 149
The black hole information paradox is resolved by considering that "...information is not lost in a black hole, but that all of the information of what is inside of a black hole can be viewed on the event horizon".

As the black hole gets smaller and smaller through the emission of Hawking radiation though, the event horizon is also shrinking. If I understand correctly, at a certain point (Planck length?), the size of the black hole approximates nil. At this point, the black hole, its event horizon and the information contained therein all disappear. So information is effectively destroyed all the same...I don't understand...

IH
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Physical constant is constant even in strong gravitational fields
Physicists provide new insights into the world of quantum materials
Nuclear spins control current in plastic LED: Step toward quantum computing, spintronic memory, better displays
cosmik debris
Dec9-12, 01:58 PM
P: 311
Quote Quote by Islam Hassan View Post
The black hole information paradox is resolved by considering that "...information is not lost in a black hole, but that all of the information of what is inside of a black hole can be viewed on the event horizon".
IH
Who says?
Islam Hassan
Dec13-12, 04:28 AM
Quote Quote by cosmik debris View Post
Who says?

In this 2011 article, second to last sentence of the last paragraph:

http://taper100.hubpages.com/hub/The...adox-Explained

The author is not a publicly-known academic personality.

On the Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_h...mation_paradox

I did however find the following which may be a reply to my original query:

"Other possibilities include the information being contained in a Planckian remnant left over at the end of Hawking radiation or a modification of the laws of quantum mechanics to allow for non-unitary time evolution."

IH

Islam Hassan
Dec13-12, 04:54 AM
Question re the Information Paradox

"Other possibilities include the information being contained in a Planckian remnant left over at the end of Hawking radiation or a modification of the laws of quantum mechanics to allow for non-unitary time evolution."

I guess a subsidiary question is if particles/matter shrinks to below the Planck scale, can we say -for all practical purposes- that it still exists?

IH
cosmik debris
Dec13-12, 03:15 PM
P: 311
Well I don't think the views of the author are exactly mainstream, if there is such a thing with this subject. If the blackhole paradox were solved I would have thought we would have heard about it and discussed it quite a bit on these fora. There is a discussion about this in progress at the moment, a bit of a search will find it.

Register to reply