A (apparently?) non-local quantum field theory

by rubbergnome
Tags: apparently, field, nonlocal, quantum, theory
rubbergnome
Dec9-12, 05:05 PM
P: 11
I need to derive the euler-lagrange equations for the following non-local lagrangian density for a complex scalar field ψ

[itex]\mathcal{L} = \partial_{\mu}\psi^* \partial_{\mu}\psi - \lambda \int dy\, f(x,y) \psi^*(y) \psi(y)[/itex]

where λ is the coupling constant, f is a certain real-positive valued function linear in the first argument that satisfies f(x,y)=1/f(y,x) (which also implies f(x,x)=1). The integral is over all spacetime.

Applying the usual euler-lagrange equations shouldn't be correct here. I tried taking the functional derivative of the action S=∫dx L with respect to ψ*and set it equal to zero, and I get

[itex]\partial_{\mu}\partial^{\mu}\psi(x) = -\lambda \int dy\, f(y,x) \psi(x)[/itex]

where indeed we have a non-constant mass term. On the other hand, I used the methods in this paper

http://www.astro.columbia.edu/~lhui/...2012/HowTo.pdf

to derive the feynman rules for the only possible vertex in the theory (this already made me think about a correction to the propagator); I get -iλ∫dxdy f(x,y) which purely depends on f. This result can also be quickly derived with eq. (136) here

http://www2.ph.ed.ac.uk/~egardi/MQFT...cture_9_10.pdf

The full propagator is therefore one of a free complex scalar field with mass mē= λ∫dxdy f(x,y). At least this is the result I got, and I'd like to confirm it deriving this mass term in the equations of motion.

I also calculated the leading order correction to the transition amplitude between single-particle states in the canonical formalism, and the result agrees with the above procedure.

The final doubt that arises is this: even if the equations of motions lead to the same result, why would the non-locality in the lagrangian be completely gone, turning into a mass term?

I hope at least part of my post makes sense. Thanks in advance for helping. :)
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Physicists design quantum switches which can be activated by single photons
'Dressed' laser aimed at clouds may be key to inducing rain, lightning
Higher-order nonlinear optical processes observed using the SACLA X-ray free-electron laser
rubbergnome
Dec10-12, 08:43 AM
P: 11
For some reason I cannot edit the first post anymore. I just wanted to add that x-linearity in f is not required, also because if compromises the positivity. I needed it for other things, but I realized it's not working that way. Deriving the equations of motion shouldn't depend on that anyway.

Register to reply