Hey guys,I have to admit that my knowledge of this stuff is

by PhiPhenomenon
Tags: admit, guys, knowledge
Share this thread:
PhiPhenomenon
Dec9-12, 05:30 PM
P: 19
Hey guys,

I have to admit that my knowledge of this stuff is probably quite lacking in comparison to most other people's but I was wondering if anyone had some resources I could use to look into regarding nonlocality?

From what little I do know about Quantum Mechanics is that Einstein had a beef with its probabilistic nature and insisted that there was a third particle involved which has since been disproved. I've been trying to look into possible nonlocal explanations for quantum phenomenon such as what happens in the quantum eraser experiment and was wondering if anyone has any knowledge of work being done with this or if there are any currently accepted theories?
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Physicists discuss quantum pigeonhole principle
First in-situ images of void collapse in explosives
The first supercomputer simulations of 'spin?orbit' forces between neutrons and protons in an atomic nucleus
tom.stoer
Dec10-12, 12:54 AM
Sci Advisor
P: 5,366
The currently accepted theory is quantum mechanics
nanosiborg
Dec10-12, 02:06 AM
P: 79
Quote Quote by PhiPhenomenon View Post
Hey guys,

I have to admit that my knowledge of this stuff is probably quite lacking in comparison to most other people's but I was wondering if anyone had some resources I could use to look into regarding nonlocality?

From what little I do know about Quantum Mechanics is that Einstein had a beef with its probabilistic nature and insisted that there was a third particle involved which has since been disproved. I've been trying to look into possible nonlocal explanations for quantum phenomenon such as what happens in the quantum eraser experiment and was wondering if anyone has any knowledge of work being done with this or if there are any currently accepted theories?
Don't know what you mean by "a third particle involved", but there's been more papers written on quantum nolocality than you can shake a stick at. I share your curiosity about this and can only suggest that you utilize the available internet resources. Search in Physics Forums, Google, Yahoo, arxiv.org, Wikipedia, Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy, etc. etc. You'll find enough material to keep you busy for years.

PhiPhenomenon
Dec10-12, 11:50 AM
P: 19
Hey guys,I have to admit that my knowledge of this stuff is

Quote Quote by nanosiborg View Post
Don't know what you mean by "a third particle involved", but there's been more papers written on quantum nolocality than you can shake a stick at. I share your curiosity about this and can only suggest that you utilize the available internet resources. Search in Physics Forums, Google, Yahoo, arxiv.org, Wikipedia, Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy, etc. etc. You'll find enough material to keep you busy for years.
Thanks for the tip.

As you can tell I'm pretty new to all of this and am just barely starting to get my head wrapped around a few things. But it seems to me that anytime someone tries to mention a cause and effect relationship of the random nature of QM people tend to dismiss it as nonsense or impossible. I've only recently stumbled upon a few ideas for nonlocal ideas but I have no idea how valid any of these ideas (although I don't know if most physicists really do either).

Also, by 'third particle involved' I was trying to reference the EPR paradox... which I just reread and apparently does not necessarily involve a 'particle'.

Register to reply