Predicting temp. at which defects will set in

by sam_bell
Tags: defects, predicting, temp
sam_bell
Dec10-12, 03:01 PM
P: 67
Hi,

I am calculating surface energies for different kinds of defects in a bulk solid (e.g. twins, anti-phase boundaries, etc.) Let's say I get something like (just making this up) 1.0 meV/Angstrom^2. How would I calculate the temperature at which an appreciable number of said defect would be present in the sample? Classically, you have something like k_B T energy available per mode. But I get confused thinking about what might constitute a mode when talking about surface defects forming in a bulk crystal.

Thanks for suggestions,
Sam
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Vacuum ultraviolet lamp of the future created in Japan
Understanding the energy and charge transfer of ions passing through membranes
High-temperature plasmonics eyed for solar, computer innovation
Useful nucleus
Dec10-12, 06:30 PM
P: 240
I'm not aware of any statistical mechanical model that gives "equilibrium" number of "extended" defects (anything different than point defects) at a given temperature. Even the word "equilibrium" may not be appropriate here.

Register to reply