Question about expectation values.

In summary, the expectation value of position for a Gaussian wave packet can be found using the general definition of expectation value, which in the position representation simplifies to the integral of the wave function multiplied by the position operator. This can also be written in terms of raising and lowering operators, similar to the harmonic oscillator, if appropriate operators are defined. For a Gaussian wave packet, the expectation value of position is the central value of the distribution.
cragar
Is it possible to define operators to find the expectation value of position for a Gaussian wave packet. Similar to finding raising and lowering operators for the harmonic oscillator in terms of position and momentum and then using those to find <x> and <p>. But I was just wondering if this could be done for a Gaussian wave packet.

Physics news on Phys.org
Here is one: X

If your wave packet is expressed as function of position, ##<X> = \int \psi \psi^* x dx##.

I don't completely understand what you are doing? Is X my new operator.
are you starting with the definition of expectation value and then going from there.

The position operator (in the position representation) is simply ##x##. So the general definition of expectation value:

$$\langle A \rangle = \int {\Psi^* A_{op} \Psi dx}$$

becomes

$$\langle x \rangle = \int {\Psi^* x \Psi dx}$$

Plug in your wave function and grind out the integral.

ok i understand that. I was trying to think of a way to compute that without doing an integral. Like how you can do that for the harmonic oscillator with a+ and a -
like [itex] <x>=<U|a^+ + a^-|U> [/itex]
u is the wave function and a+ is the raising operator.
can I do this for a Gaussian wave packet.

If you define appropriate operators.
For a gaussian wave packet, the expectation value of the position is the central value of the distribution. If you know that, you are done.

1. What is an expectation value?

An expectation value is the average value that a measurement will produce when a physical system is in a particular state. It is calculated by taking the sum of all possible outcomes of a measurement, weighted by their probabilities.

2. How is the expectation value used in quantum mechanics?

In quantum mechanics, the expectation value is used to determine the most likely outcome of a measurement on a quantum system. It is also used in the calculation of other important quantities, such as the uncertainty principle and the time evolution of a system.

3. What is the difference between an expectation value and a probability?

An expectation value is a weighted average of all possible outcomes, while a probability is the likelihood of a specific outcome occurring. The expectation value takes into account all possible outcomes, while a probability only considers one specific outcome.

4. How is the expectation value related to the wave function in quantum mechanics?

The expectation value is related to the wave function through the mathematical operation of taking the inner product of the wave function with the operator representing the quantity being measured. This gives the average value of that quantity for the given wave function.

5. Can the expectation value be negative?

Yes, the expectation value can be negative. This can occur when the possible outcomes of a measurement have both positive and negative values, and the probabilities of those outcomes are such that the negative values are more likely to occur.